Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could recommend any good quiet air compressors? I found some from some online from home depot online from California air tools

http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-1-6-Gal-1-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Aluminum-Tank-Air-Compressor-1610A/202977397

http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-6-3-gal-1-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Steel-Tank-Air-Compressor-6310/202977399

http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-4-6-Gal-2-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Aluminum-Twin-Tank-Air-Compressor-4620A/202977405

They seem to have some good reviews but will they work well on props?

I will use it for the chair screamer animatronic

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got one from Harbor Frieght. It works great and was not too expensive. It is loud but....I put it in my back yard and run a black 100 foot airline to my front yard. With all the Halloween sounds in the front yard, you don't notice the compressor at all. You can get the airline from Harbor freight as well for a pretty good price. I also use the compressor for my nail gun which is my most treasured prop building tool. It is literally a life saver.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well you are in luck as it turns out, I bough the 1610A (one in your first link) on Amazon's prime day.
It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. So I should be able to post something about it on Tues or Wed.
Rather be lucky than good.

However for your use I would guess the larger tank 2HP model would be a better choice.

Why don't you determine the pressure and capacity required. Get the data from Adam at Poison Props.
Multiply that by the number of times per hour you wish to cycle the prop.
See ( ask compressor mfg ) how long the compressor takes to fill it's tank to the required pressure.
Then figure out how much of each hour will the compressor motor be running,
and select a compressor that will run 30 minutes or less out of each hour.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oilless compressors are all loud for the most part. Splash lubricated are a lot quieter but usually more expensive as well.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I don't use any whole house sound tracks here, I don't need them or like them with what i have here and am trying to do.
All of my air compressors used to be "Oil-less!'
Oil-less" is a Disadvantage not an advantage in my opinion. The Oil-less ones were more noisy and began a pattern of breaking themselves every year, and I bought them "NEW".
The plastic air-wheel would just shatter, order another part on-line, wait for it,install it and maybe 6 months later it breaks again.
Granted,I am open every night of the entire year,so my compressor(s) gets "worked".
Having no oil for lubrication goes against all common sense as far as how mechanical things have to function in my thinking.
My current compressors,one main one and one out in the backyard are with "Oil". My main one is at" home" in a small shed away from the house.
Inside the shed I made a 2 by 2 wooden frame that supports a chicken wire covering which supports fiberglass bats of thick insulation for sound-proofing, which does work well. The shed is only about 12 feet from the side of my house where the first room of the tour remains for sometimes a long period if it is Not October.
I peel back the fiberglass when it gets summertime "Hot" around the compressor and there is a built in small fan above the door of the shed to help with the cooling .and the shed is in the shade.
The second,smaller compressor is hidden in the backyard under the hood of my wrecked car. When it turns "ON" I act surprised that my old , wrecked car's engine could have started up again!
I could be running everything from one compressor because i installed a 40 gal. air tank in the line to increase air capacity,that tank is from one of my older Oil-less compressors.
I don't use the compressor under the car hood in the Winter because that practice would junk it out quickly, i believe. I sometimes have a heat lamp in the small shed , which is built with 2by 6 walls and paneled inside and out.
I didn't want to have to rely upon 100 feet of air hose,since eventually that would cause new problems down-the-road.
Inside the house all of my air lines are 1/2 inch steel,galvanized pipe,threaded, screwed together with drip-legs and valves for condensate draining every so often.
I only have four air-activated devices inside the house,and they are all made here by me to do odd things, scary things, or just necessary tasks, i will say.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Couple things.
Oiled compressors will usually have a longer lifetime.
OP asked for good & quiet, and offered a list of "ultra quiet" oilless which are spec'd around 60 decibels.
60 dB is about the same level of sound made by one of those football size airbrush compressors like the TC-20.
At those levels, indoors you will hear it, but can easily carry on a normal conversation.
If OP needs one that will see a high duty cycle & run for long periods I think there are other choices worth considering.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple things.
Oiled compressors will usually have a longer lifetime.
OP asked for good & quiet, and offered a list of "ultra quiet" oilless which are spec'd around 60 decibels.
60 dB is about the same level of sound made by one of those football size airbrush compressors like the TC-20.
At those levels, indoors you will hear it, but can easily carry on a normal conversation.
If OP needs one that will see a high duty cycle & run for long periods I think there are other choices worth considering.
Yeah I wouldn't mind other recommendations other then the ones I listed! The prop will be used indoors :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
The psi (pressure) probably isn't going to be the difficult part. After all those little tire inflators with the cigarette lighter plug can reach 150 psi. You might ask then why do they take forever to fill a car tire to only 30 lbs. Because they can not produce the Volume of air required, in a short period of time. This is where the tank comes in. Say you have 4 cubic foot (cu ft) compressor tank, filled to 100 psi. Say your prop uses 4 cubic feet of 25 psi air each performance. Then you should get 3 performances of the prop before the tank gets low enough to likely cause the prop to slow noticeably. After the first or perhaps the second performance the compressor should automatically start refilling the tank, so your prop would never appear to slow down.

However if your prop cycles faster than the compressor pump can refill the tank, then you can have the same problem.
The ability to refill the tank is noted in the specifications as CFM @ xx psi. For instance in the above 4 cu ft tank, a compressor with a 2.0 cfm @ 90 psi rating will fill the tank in about 2 minutes (MOL), and faster than one rated at 1.5 cfm @ 90 psi. If your compressor can pump 4 cubic feet of air at 40 psi, and your prop uses 4 cu ft at 25 psi you will probably not encounter a problem even if you cycle the prop once a minute. However your compressor will not have any cool down opportunity, and wear out much sooner. So you might want a bigger compressor capacity in that case. Or limit the prop to running once every two minutes.

So how often your compressor will run is determined by How big is the tank, how much air does the prop use each time, and how many time per hour will it perform.
How long your compressor will run is determined by it's ability to refill that tank.

There are a number of compressors that can do what you want, but without knowing what you mean or need for quiet it's pretty much a guess. Here is a good general purpose compressor from home depot. It's runs $99 on sale or with coupons, and slightly more otherwise. You can try it and return it if it is too loud. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-TA-2530B/202564847?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1225267-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=1225267&SID=0b3e57b59a614264ba790b05324e59e0&cj=true

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the CA Air Tools Compressor which I purchased to replace a Harbor Freight Compressor. To preface my comment/recommendation, I am not a daily user of the product. My air compressor use outside of Halloween is limited to the occasional tire and kids sports equipment fill. I am also a plug n' play person, so not having to deal with oil and corresponding maintenance was a determining factor in my selection. It has held up very well for the past 3 years.

If noise is your primary reason for looking at these compressors then you will be happy with your purchase compared to all other compressors. You will notice the horsepower on these are a little less than comparable items, so it does take longer to fill, but it is most definitely quieter. If money is not an obstacle then you will be happy with this purchase (as long as you purchase a large compressor to limit cycle times). You will still need to place this compressor out of the room or area of your haunt as no compressor is silent. If you are looking for good size while still being quiet and a lot less money, I would recommend the Husky C331H or F2S20VWD models at Home Depot. They offer a good size to noise balance at a good price.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah I know just wanted to know if anyone on here used them on props/animatronics?
I have used this http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html
$40 harbor freight compressor to run this prop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzHybzlcZ08

But it's noisy as hell and takes forever to refill the tank. So that compressor works, but it sucks for this use.

I bough the California Air Tools 1610A to run my airbrush.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the CA Air Tools Compressor which I purchased to replace a Harbor Freight Compressor. To preface my comment/recommendation, I am not a daily user of the product. My air compressor use outside of Halloween is limited to the occasional tire and kids sports equipment fill. I am also a plug n' play person, so not having to deal with oil and corresponding maintenance was a determining factor in my selection. It has held up very well for the past 3 years.

If noise is your primary reason for looking at these compressors then you will be happy with your purchase compared to all other compressors. You will notice the horsepower on these are a little less than comparable items, so it does take longer to fill, but it is most definitely quieter. If money is not an obstacle then you will be happy with this purchase (as long as you purchase a large compressor to limit cycle times). You will still need to place this compressor out of the room or area of your haunt as no compressor is silent. If you are looking for good size while still being quiet and a lot less money, I would recommend the Husky C331H or F2S20VWD models at Home Depot. They offer a good size to noise balance at a good price.
thank you the California air tools one has 2.0 hp while the husky ones are 1.7hp and 1.5hp

·
Registered
880 Posts
That Makita runs 80 db, it's not going to be really quiet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts