Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, lets get this off my chest firstly....I Hate cold weather! I have that Raynards (spl?) Syndrome thing where I get cold way quickly and easily. 55° is chilly to me, you get the point. My gf and I are gonna go to the DSM (Des Moines, IA for the non locals) haunted attractions this year and my forecast shows 34° for both this Saturday and next Saturday, sorry...should have mentioned we r going next Saturday. There is now also a chance for a "wintery mix" 3 times next week. Have I mentioned I live in the smack, dab middle of Iowa yet? Last years Halloween at my house was a partial bust because there was a freeze warning the day before and the day of it was windy so I couldn't set up my 14' tall walk through inflatable. I think the temp last year was 45°? Now given my medical condition, more easily called "Its F*ck'n Cold!", I also spent 15 months in Montana (Thompson Falls) where they see a grand total of 3 months of spring and summer combined. You can imagine how greatly I survived having to walk everywhere in 3' snow. I moved up to IA for a job that I continued to hold for another 8 years but now I've moved on. Long story shorter....Im ready to move to a warm, Halloween-energetic state! Yes, Halloween will be prolly 50% part of my next relocation. Anyone know of southern areas (preferably Not west coast or even west of IA) that is maybe known for its halloween festivals? Its an impossible question prolly. I'd almost like to be in a place were the coldest temp is barely 32°. Like, a beautiful 65° Halloween day, week or even month would be perfect. I plan to sell my house and be someplace way more content in 2 years. Thanks for listening everyone! Happy Halloween!

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, lets get this off my chest firstly....I Hate cold weather! I have that Raynards (spl?) Syndrome thing where I get cold way quickly and easily. 55° is chilly to me, you get the point. My gf and I are gonna go to the DSM (Des Moines, IA for the non locals) haunted attractions this year and my forecast shows 34° for both this Saturday and next Saturday, sorry...should have mentioned we r going next Saturday. There is now also a chance for a "wintery mix" 3 times next week. Have I mentioned I live in the smack, dab middle of Iowa yet? Last years Halloween at my house was a partial bust because there was a freeze warning the day before and the day of it was windy so I couldn't set up my 14' tall walk through inflatable. I think the temp last year was 45°? Now given my medical condition, more easily called "Its F*ck'n Cold!", I also spent 15 months in Montana (Thompson Falls) where they see a grand total of 3 months of spring and summer combined. You can imagine how greatly I survived having to walk everywhere in 3' snow. I moved up to IA for a job that I continued to hold for another 8 years but now I've moved on. Long story shorter....Im ready to move to a warm, Halloween-energetic state! Yes, Halloween will be prolly 50% part of my next relocation. Anyone know of southern areas (preferably Not west coast or even west of IA) that is maybe known for its halloween festivals? Its an impossible question prolly. I'd almost like to be in a place were the coldest temp is barely 32°. Like, a beautiful 65° Halloween day, week or even month would be perfect. I plan to sell my house and be someplace way more content in 2 years. Thanks for listening everyone! Happy Halloween!
I feel your pain, I have scleroderma with Raynaud's syndrome and I live near Mankato, MN.
Tip, they now make mitten with built in pockets (N'Ice caps mittens, sold on Amazon for sure) for those hand warming hot hands ( air activated chemical packets to warm hands or feet etc) Walmart sells the hot hands as well as big box hardware store's.

That being said I think the solution to Halloween being difficult to celebrate in the northern climate's, we need to start rebelling and doing Halloween in June, much like Christmas in July.
It seems to me those of us who put in a lot of work on our Halloween might like a opportunity to display or celebrate it twice a year whether permitting.
Halloween in June would be much safer for the young kids as it's lighter out longer. June's not typically scorching hot so costumes would be okay especially in the evening.
Just food for thought!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,398 Posts
I live in Houston TX. We're lucky if we see a flurry of snow every 5 ish years, and it just now is starting to turn cooler - we were in the 90F range yesterday and a front moved through to give a day or two of 70s.

The disadvantage is that we also have other nasty weather events - hurricanes, flooding, surface-of-the-sun hot with humidity that feels like a sauna 24 hours a day (yes, even at night there is no relief) for 8 months of the year. And wind and storms have caused me to not have a real Halloween several years. :(

I like it here okay in general, but the weather events are scary and not in a good way so Gulf Coast is not a place I'd recommend based on that.

I love cold weather and miss snow but I don't know if that's the grass is always greener effect or a genuine feeling. ;)

Texas has many areas that Halloween is a big deal. We've had several of the big conventions (Hauntworld/Hauntcon has been in Houston and Dallas and it's not a bad trip to New Orleans either). Lots of ghost tours and history. Most of the metro areas have decent cost of living/nice amenities in general. Just maybe look at more INLAND areas like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio (less humidity anyway if you can get away from the Gulf) but not too far north because you'll run into practically the same issues. ;)

I love Louisiana and totally recommend visiting, but there is no way I'd live there as I've had too many near misses where I live now and flooding/hurricanes are just a dealbreaker for me.

Florida would be another obvious choice: usually lovely weather even in winter and you've got the amazing Disney and Universal Studios stuff, they always have Halloween conventions as well... not sure as much about history but surely they have some cool things year round. But again - hurricanes!

·
Registered
291 Posts
as a halloween baby, i must protest the moving of halloween up.

but trick or treating can be moved to whenever. :p

i cannot reccommend ohio. we get COLD here, even if we don't get snow. same for kentucky, really.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain, I have scleroderma with Raynaud's syndrome and I live near Mankato, MN.
Tip, they now make mitten with built in pockets (N'Ice caps mittens, sold on Amazon for sure) for those hand warming hot hands ( air activated chemical packets to warm hands or feet etc) Walmart sells the hot hands as well as big box hardware store's.

That being said I think the solution to Halloween being difficult to celebrate in the northern climate's, we need to start rebelling and doing Halloween in June, much like Christmas in July.
It seems to me those of us who put in a lot of work on our Halloween might like a opportunity to display or celebrate it twice a year whether permitting.
Halloween in June would be much safer for the young kids as it's lighter out longer. June's not typically scorching hot so costumes would be okay especially in the evening.
Just food for thought!
There's no pumpkins in June though. It's just not Halloween without pumpkins.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There's no pumpkins in June though. It's just not Halloween without pumpkins.
So true! And they just match the changing leaves on the trees so well! It’s way colder here in Illinois than it was in NC where I grew up. But, it seems in many climates people just acclimate to whatever it is. For those of you with medical conditions that make the cold harder to tolerate, I hope you still find ways to stay comfortable and enjoy the holiday. Weather right now is calling for 39 degrees Halloween night and I’m already debating how much wood we will need to get a really big fire going. My fleece thermals came in the mail today so I’m hoping to keep the night chill under control so I can enjoy that blue moon that’s coming.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always had a fascination with the New England states but pretty sure I could never live there because of the winters. Salem during Halloween is on my buckle list! I've heard I would do good in Texas. What about Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama? I wouldn't consider myself ever a redneck, hillbilly or country folk. I've considered Florida but the cost of living has to be much higher i assume. I almost wish the town in Hocus Pocus was near me and had decent houses for sale. Finding a neighborhood that celebrates halloween like I do, maybe not as extreme, will be the fun part. I've lived in Iowa since 2007 but was born in Kansas. The winters in Iowa suck every year but the summers r nice also. I would gladly exchange record highs for record lows....i can still ride my motorcycle but don't intend to buy a snowmobile. Catch my drift? Any other states recommendations??

·
Registered
70 Posts
My sister lives in Celebration Florida and they go all out for the holidays. The local Disney hotels bus people over to trick or treat. Parts of the neighborhood can expect 2,000 plus kids! This year the town has pull the plug on it due to Covid. I live in the north Georgia mountains and it is so beautiful here. My town is holding the the moonshine festival as always this year, neighborhoods are begging kids to come trick or treat, we are solidering on!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Born and raised in CT, visited Salem, MA for October a few times, currently an hour outside of Orlando,FL now for my second Halloween. Each has merits and drawbacks. Halloween with autumn is magic. Halloween with palm trees isn't quite right. I was devastated last year trying to decorate outside sweating putting up orange lights. My area is also very religious and country-esque. I'm the only house for several blocks with any lights at all, a few have pumpkins, but that's it, I got 2 ToT's last year...

The Disney/ universal stuff is great but definitely expensive and the cost of living if you're near Orlando is wayyyy more. Also there's so many HOA's here for houses you may not get to put up whatever you want in the yard.

Absolutely do Salem one year, and personally I prefer the holidays in New England, but your health comes first so choose a warm place and then a city that embraces Halloween, (ie not mine lol)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, what cities or larger towns embrace Halloween and also have a luke warm temp in autumn? Iowa is a negative. Nothing north or northeast. Bout 95% sure I don't wanna go west and Most Def not Cali (no disrespect to any Californians here). Georgia? Tennessee? S.C.? I swear when I win powerball I'm purchasing and building my own Halloweentown. I'll die bankrupt to see that 1 dream a reality

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
953 Posts
Indiana! 70;s most of the month of October! Evenings can be cool but nothing unbearable! Falls are BEAUTIFUL and cost of living is good!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Im in FL, way too hot still in October here! I have family in NE Georgia and the weather there is really nice yearound. Kind of rural though so not sure of Halloween happenings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Living in Nevada (Las Vegas) we are blessed with usually great weather for Halloween... The forecast has it at 77/53 as of now. We do have to face wind challenges from time to time with our display though, but fortunately we don't have any real heavy winds in the forecast.

-K

·
Registered
14,145 Posts
Well here in warm sunny California (albeit SF bay area) we have a projected Sunday, 10/25, of 64 as a high and 33!!!! as the low. Seriously???!!! My husband told me that a few hours ago and thought he was joking. Just checked my weather app and saw it for myself.

BTW we’ve been in the 90s all week and earlier saw it was suppose to be in the 80s. Now towards end of week dropping to 70s and then that ridiculously cold temp for the 25th. Afraid to see the rest of the week of the 25th-31st when it gets posted but want to stay optimistic.

I totally get wanting to move Halloween to celebrate at least earlier in the month. It’s always been warm here then; for halloween every 5 years or so we get rain or colder temps. With covid and flu this year I really don’t want the little ToTers getting sick and bringing home to their families.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So true! And they just match the changing leaves on the trees so well! It’s way colder here in Illinois than it was in NC where I grew up. But, it seems in many climates people just acclimate to whatever it is. For those of you with medical conditions that make the cold harder to tolerate, I hope you still find ways to stay comfortable and enjoy the holiday. Weather right now is calling for 39 degrees Halloween night and I’m already debating how much wood we will need to get a really big fire going. My fleece thermals came in the mail today so I’m hoping to keep the night chill under control so I can enjoy that blue moon that’s coming.
This was Halloween last year in Illinois. All I could say was "Merry Halloween"

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
oh man... this thread makes me sad. It was in the upper 80s today and I'm lucky that it wasn't in the 90s here in TX.

I would much rather it be cold than hot for October.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm foolishly holding my breathe for that Saturday the 31st. Ill be happy with 50-53 but who am I kidding...its gonna snow/wintery mix at 42° prolly. 🤞. Yeah I'm 100% sure Im moving as soon as my house is ready for the market.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts