Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tombstones aren't 'my thing'. But, watching all yall carving them up and slapping that drylok on them has given me some ideas, and I find myself playing with styrofoam...

My Q is how much coverage do you get from a gallon of Drylok?

I currently have 5 2x4 sheets of styrofoam. Do I need 2 gallons? more? less?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just looked at my Dry-Lok can. To use it for its intended purpose it says to apply 2 coats at 75-100 sq. ft. coverage per gallon. So I would think you would only need 1 coat and that the square foot coverage per gallon would be doubled. I would just get one gallon.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
For years, all we've used is a wash coat of cement with a little sand thrown in. They look realistic as can be. This year my daughter suggested that we toss a little of that "Glitter Dust" on the wet surface. That gives it them eerie glistening effect, like they have a little frost on them. Very nice.

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
For years, all we've used is a wash coat of cement with a little sand thrown in. They look realistic as can be. This year my daughter suggested that we toss a little of that "Glitter Dust" on the wet surface. That gives it them eerie glistening effect, like they have a little frost on them. Very nice.
How dare you tell about this cool Idea and don't include any pictures!!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?????

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would look great, but I'm not entirely sure if it would suit my purpose.

I'm not making TOMBSTONES, per se, but rather, re-building some slabs that busted on me last year. Shooting for more of a sandstone or slate rock look. Was thinking of white dryloc/sand as a sealer coat on the styrofoam, then staining it for the desired color.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was able to do 16 tombstones each with a double coat with 1 gallon of dryloc. The tombstones were cut from 2 sheets of 4' x 8' foam. There were scraps leftover from cutting out the tombstones but not much

1 - 6 of 6 Posts