Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the additions to my haunt this year is going to be a witch with a cauldron. I have never had a fogger and dont want a lot of fog. I would like a little fog/steam coming out of the cauldron for the effect of boiling water.

How can I do that? Buy a fogger and put it in? Do they make small ones for this similar purpose...I think it would be cool to have a green or red floodlight coming out of the cauldron as well... How do I do that with water in it?

Thanks!

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
dry ice and water....

The ice boils and creates bubbles as well as giving off "smoke" ive used it on many occaisions and it work fine

Ruggerz

·
Banned
85 Posts
mist maker - aka ionizer would be exactly what you are looking for . Works with only water , and lasts a LONG time with minimal water comsumption . And ... its instant on , instant off . Unlike that , of a heat fogger ( common foggers )

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Fog Ionizers are definitely the way to go! But don't buy cheap versions because well, they're made cheap! Buy one with a warranty...and whatever you do...

Don't stick your finger into the ionizer! It will shock you! I got chewed out last year by one of the ToT Moms complaining that "little Sally" hurt her finger! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought one similar to this one: Adjustable Mist Maker (Fogger/Mister) with 12-Lights M10LED DH-24B
at Spirit last year. It just sits in a shallow bowl of regular water and "fogs" with the lights changing colors. I put it in a cauldron, propped up to just sit below the edge of the pot. Worked great, just had to add water a few times during the night.

Hey that looks great, thanks for posting... looking through the description it does not designate if it can be used outdoors? Do you know...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The question to ask is are you planning on just a static witch and cauldron, or a stirring witch? Putting a bowl of water in a giant cauldron with a mister will not allow room for the stirring.

Otherwise, yes, a mister will work for just fine in a bit of water.
Just a static prop... :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Pumpkinman, I have a large black cauldron with a smaller black cauldron inside of it that has a built in fogger inside of it, that gives off very little fog and also has a red light in it. It has a tiny little fog juice resevoir that you fill up and it appears the cauldron is bubbling. I'll see if I can find it to get some info off of it for you. I bought it used and have never even used it.

·
Banned
85 Posts
And .. if your stuck on a real fogger , they DO make very small ones .. theres one called a PENCIL FOGGER . its small , and EXPENSIVE !
Follow the link for one example ( no , I am not promoting , or suggesting this particular brand , just using it as an example to view )

Rosco US : Fog : PF-1000

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Pumpkinman, I have a large black cauldron with a smaller black cauldron inside of it that has a built in fogger inside of it, that gives off very little fog and also has a red light in it. It has a tiny little fog juice resevoir that you fill up and it appears the cauldron is bubbling. I'll see if I can find it to get some info off of it for you. I bought it used and have never even used it.
Nox thanks that would be awesome.

I thought about using dry ice but I had a few concerns.

1) What if some idiot reaches down into the cauldron into the bubbles and ends up with an injury from the ice?

2) I usually let my display go for a week before Halloween all during the evening. It would be so much more handy to be able to plug something in and let it run than to have to feed it ice all the time. I guess though I could just have the cauldron "bubble" halloween night

3) I am not familiar with dry ice and dont know how much I would need to have it continuosly and effectively go all night, any ideas? Where do you even buy it?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts

This might not be what you are looking for. What I did was take a 8 foot long piece of flexible 1 inch tubing and hooked it to my fog chiller. It worked great. This way I had fog for my cemetery and for my witch. My fog chiller was nothing more then a chest cooler. I drilled a 1 inch hole and popped the tubing in and ran it to the cauldron. A 2 for 1 deal. My witch was stirring the cauldron so I couldn't have a fogger in there. But this idea would work just as well for a static prop and the fogger can be placed somewhere so that you can have easy access to it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used one of the small mist makers/pond foggers last year and it worked extremely well. I had the water level on the cauldron quite high as suggested and I put a little food colouring in the water so the fogger was hard to see. If you play with the level of the fogger under the water, it will give a good bubbling effect. The colour changing LEDs on it worked well.

Lots of people commented on this prop and it was easy, cheap and being low voltage, extremely safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would use dry ice, too. You can also get some of those glow-in-the-dark tube necklaces or sticks and drop them in the water to add a creepy glow. They sell them at most dollar stores, like Dollar Tree.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
not to split hairs or anything, but those "ionizer" mister are actually ultrasonic misters. they vibrate a small diaphragm so quick the it causes the water to break apart and mist. moving water naturally ionizes air. so fountains, waterfalls, even your sink faucet and shower are ionizers. it why people generally feel better and refreshed from just being around moving water.

anyway, as a static prop ultra sonic mister work great. here's a pic i made of one years ago. i fill the whole thing with water and just raised the mister near the surface on a glass place inside. it had color changing leds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts