Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening!

I'm searching for a couple of projectors - one I'd like to use indoors to use the spectral illusions Daisy the Ghost Bride in a doorway. A second one we'd like to use outdoors to do singing pumpkins. I've read quite a bit on the forum about lumens, etc. What I'm curious about is that most projectors, I guess, need to have a laptop or dvd player hooked up to them? I mean, I don't see many out there, unless you spend BIG BUCKS, that will project straight from a dvd or even a thumb drive. If that's right, I assume you'd have to have some fairly long cables so that your dvd player or laptop/computer isn't sitting right there beside your display?

Just curious how others use the projectors and/or what they use to play the videos through the projectors.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
668 Posts
You are right. Not many that have a built in DVD player, and the ones that do are poor quality, or thumb drive ability. I use my laptop next to my projector, in a custom made booth. If you have the yard space, have you looked into projection mapping? Can get away with what you want (and then some) with one projector.

Here's a link to a quick how to I put together on how to do it. You can do as little as as much as you want with this method.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/133936-projection-mapping-tutorial-3.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the responses. Your projections are really cool Icepick. It might be something for me to look at for Christmas! I think the micca spec is exactly what I need horrorman. Thank you so much for the link. What's the difference between the two that show up on the link? One is HD and the other isn't, maybe?

Thanks again to you both. Have a great evening!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Appreciate the responses. Your projections are really cool Icepick. It might be something for me to look at for Christmas! I think the micca spec is exactly what I need horrorman. Thank you so much for the link. What's the difference between the two that show up on the link? One is HD and the other isn't, maybe?

Thanks again to you both. Have a great evening!
It looks like one is HDMI only, while the other has HDMI and composite. Less expensive of the two was HDMI only. That's just based on photos. I'm sure the description can be compared.

Edit: even the cheaper one has composite. The more expensive also has digital optical audio.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are looking older used projectors, many don't have hdmi inputs. If you are looking to get older projectors you might be better off with composite inputs. I use cheap $25 DVD players from Walmart with my projectors and it works great. I have older Infocus projectors that use composite inputs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A lot of pico projectors have built in memory or SD card slots. I used a 3M pico with my iPod to do singing pumpkins last year. Only problem is that the iPod would only last about three hours on a charge.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i just got some of the small dvd players at some garage sales. They are about 10" long, 8" wide, 2"tall. I found three in the last two weeks for less than 5 bucks... they are perfect for my projections.

My projector isn't HDMI though. Mine uses component which in my opinion is better, it allows me to plug the projector into the video port only and the audio ports go to the speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts