Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first my brother is attempting to make a FCG and his ghost and rig are done right .or ya know there done so the rig should work good............he ended up getting a windshield wiper motor from a Saturn ..............my bro is cheap and stuborn but he sent me a video of the FCG in motion and it looks like a Flying Crack Ghost.(get it "FCG").......anyway he is running it off a battery charger @ 6v I know you can slow down AC motors with dimmer switches ,and other dial things ...but what can you do for a DC motor.............if he wires a dimmer switch to it and wires a DC adapter would that work ........................

the other question I have is My FCG motor is a Dayton AC crank motor ..the one that everyone recomends .....but last night I set it up outside and ran it for about 3 hours and its really hot....I mean if I kept my hand on it I would get a burn ................its wired to a polarized two prong cord........should I run a 3 prong gorunded cord?...did I wire it backwards?.....is it normal for these motors to run so hot when they are under so little load?.............ifmy rig was aluminium I wouldnt care but its wood so I think after 3-4 hours of run time I could be at risk if a fire or at least my rig warping or ya know somehting bad ...........any help would be aprieciated.....ty

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know much about motors yet, but I just finished my first FCG over the weekend. I was testing it, and after a couple minutes, the motor suddenly stopped. I'm using the Rex Engineering motor from Monster Guts (their replacement for the Dayton). The wiring and the outlet looked ok, but the motor was pretty hot (but not burning hot). I was afraid I had fried it already, but I let it sit for 10 minutes, then plugged it in again, and it worked. So, I assume these motors must have auto shut off if they get too hot. Then I remembered that I hadn't mounted the little fan that came with the motor. That little fan really blows some air, hopefully that will keep it cool enough.

Hopefully someone with more experience with these motors can let us know how hot they normally get.

Oh yeah, can we see the video of the Flying Crack Ghost??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know much about motors yet, but I just finished my first FCG over the weekend. I was testing it, and after a couple minutes, the motor suddenly stopped. I'm using the Rex Engineering motor from Monster Guts (their replacement for the Dayton). The wiring and the outlet looked ok, but the motor was pretty hot (but not burning hot). I was afraid I had fried it already, but I let it sit for 10 minutes, then plugged it in again, and it worked. So, I assume these motors must have auto shut off if they get too hot. Then I remembered that I hadn't mounted the little fan that came with the motor. That little fan really blows some air, hopefully that will keep it cool enough.

Hopefully someone with more experience with these motors can let us know how hot they normally get.

Oh yeah, can we see the video of the Flying Crack Ghost??
yeah I Im thinking of a cooling fan mounted above it .......that might work........as far as the video check out my thread "jessica my FCG"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ditto on the PWM motor controllers for DC. You can run less voltage but you rapidly lose torque.

The AC motors get somewhat hot but its important to remember with FCGs to make them as light as possible. I'm talking featherweight here! Mine is really light but I still use a counterweight to keep as little load on the motor as possible. They don't have much power and are easily overloaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts