Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't come here that often but mainly Halloween season. Last November, I purchased a 1600 sq ft townhome. My first house :)!!! This is it a few weeks before I moved in this past June.

10435588_10152568349447784_2364183335168854259_n.jpg

I'm trying to figure out where to place items.
Garden - If you have a front garden, do you decorate it? I got a big tombstone I'm thinking about putting of it.
Tree - Any ideas on what to do with the tree in my front yard?
Garage - My garage is only a 1 car garage. What have you guys done for your garage?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Definitely put your tombstone in the front yard. A couple of smaller ones around it would look good too. From the tree you could hang some small items or lights. I have a one car garage too, I've never done anything with it before but this year I was thinking of doing some hay bales and pumpkins in front of it on Halloween night with a skeleton to use as a photo op for the kids. Some pumpkins around your front door would look good too. Congratulations on your first house!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Well, first off, I think you have a great yard for Halloween decorating! If it were me, I would probably line the driveway on each side with some sort of stake lights. If you want to decorate the garage door, there are tons of Halloween decals you can get like flying bats, witch on a broom, etc. The tree is just screaming for a ring of little ghosts around it! The garden area would be perfect for a few tombstones, maybe a groundbreaker or two, or just some bones scattered among the tombs. The porch is where you can really set the stage with webs, spiders, bats, and a life size prop of your choice in the corner. It could be a witch, a zombie, a vampire - really anything you like. Be sure to use some ambient lighting in green, blue, or purple or a mix. Your yard will be spectacular!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions. I definitely plan to get a groundbreaker to put in front of a tombstone. I'll probably get 1 small tombstone to put beside my HD one.

I have an idea for my front porch but not sure if it will work. I was going to dress up my Target skeleton in this dark gray robe I got from Spirit. The skeleton would be covered in black cloth to blend in better with the robe. He would be sitting in my chair on the porch. Come Halloween, I would switch the skeleton out and put myself in the robe.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Beautiful home and place to haunt!

I love your idea of changing out the skeleton for you on TOT night! My husband always sits outside and scares kids. They love it.

I would suggest even adding some of the small cheapo stones to the graveyard, too to make it really creapy. Even those plastic small fence looking borders. It gives the illusion of a fence. I got some dark green ones at Big Lots on clearance around this time of year once. Dollar Tree even has some that are lighter plastic.

Be sure to post and let us know what you do.

A big spider would be nice between the two windows upstairs or one of the HUGE thin plastic scenes. I have a HUGE one of a witch. You could even use the DT spider things that are like lawn bags on your garage. They are to be stuffed with newspaper and have big long legs. You could just tape them up there on Halloween afternoon.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,780 Posts
I live in a townhouse also. The biggest difficulty I have is storage space. Use your imagination and have fun, you have more area than you think.

Here's some photos of the front lawn and the garage. We haven't typically done anything in the tree (the FCG is in front of the tree) but this year we plan on hanging some Pumpkin rot inspired lanterns in it.

Cemetery

Front Porch

Garage

Lanterns for Tree

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doto, great job! Though mine won't be that heavily decorated.

I came up with an idea for my garage. I have this motion detecting phantom that I got from Spirit several years ago. You hang it on the ceiling and it's goes up and down with red eyes lighting and making different sounds. I'm thinking about hanging it inside my garage for now. On the garage door, I would have some sort warning sign up saying their's something evil inside. Halloween night, I'll have my garage opened up. The garage will be pitch dark inside. You can't really see the phantom. Whenever he senses a noise, all you will see his red eyes moving up and down in the dark accompanied by some strange sounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hang some plastic pumpkin pails with tea lights in the trees. They look like floating pumpkins.

You can look for some pumpkin friendly ideas on my website.
I like this idea. I think I might try that this year. I was also thinking about carving some of those cheap fake pumpkins from the dollar store and doing this (I like creepier faces on my pumpkins than what's on the pails). They did this at Knotts Scary Farm last year and I thought it looked cool.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking about going with the mason jar lanterns that todo posted. I may put four of them up on the tree and hang my phantom in front.

If I put my skeleton on the garage roof overhead, how would I keep him there without falling.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
The guy at the window has twine tied to his wrists and the twine is shut inside the window to hold him in position. The other guy is secured to the trellis and the gutter nail. It doesn't look like you have a gutter on the overhang, but maybe you could secure one with wiring or twine on both sides with the light fixtures.
I also has a wireless spot light on the roof shining on the window skeleton.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some updated pics. I meant to post earlier but I just didn't get a chance. I have a limited budget. So this is how my yard ended up.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
looking good ... i know the tots will luv it!

& try not to compare yourself with others ... the grass isn't always greener ... someone will always have a better display ...

just work on "improvements" every year ... get stuff on the after halloween 50% off sales ... sometimes they're more than 50% ... :)

everyone started small and grew as they're interest grew and their finances grew ...

and always remember to have fun!

amk

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,780 Posts
Great job so far. If you have a little left in the budget keep in mind many stores have 50% off sales Nov 1. I am sure your display will continue to grow year after year. Always remember to enjoy yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts