Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interview tonight with Doug Ferguson of Phantasmechanics the creator of the flying crank ghost, so please post any questions that you would like answered.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First off, Thank you Doug for this great prop and I plan to build one this year, my only question is which do you prefer as a head for one,.....a foam wig head or a plastic or foam skull?.....or a lite weight mask. We all have our different tastes, I'm just curious as to what Doug likes to use.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I've always liked the way his signature ghost, Victoria, is draped. I'd love to hear some details (beyond what is on the website) about the nuances of draping a ghost to get a smooth motion, as well as getting the nice 3-dimensional look that Victoria has, particularly in her arms and shoulders.

·
Registered
395 Posts
First, please thank Doug for sharing his creation. It continues to be a favorite amongst my visitors.

Can he confirm that the inspiration for the mechanism came from Disney's It's a Small World ride?
Since the introducton of the FCG, what's his opinion on the evolution of home haunting tech?
Is he working on something new?

Have fun!
-DGM

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
DGM, since reading about Doug's inspiration for the FCG, I looked for the effect at Small World. It's there, but you can't see the actual mechanism, just three dolls rising and falling in the same manner as a FCG marionette with the lines going into small holes in the ceiling. The crank arm must be quite long, as the dolls range of motion is a several feet. Luckily for us haunters, Doug was able to visualize the hardware!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just wondering about variations on the theme.

This year I wanted to attach three little ghosts, each on their own line, going up and down behind three tombstones (appearing to jump up from the tombstone and back again).

I bet he's seen some tricky mods.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Thanks for sharing your plans for the FCG Doug. How do you best attach the FCG to the rig so the lines will not get tangled together in the motion.

·
Registered
395 Posts
DGM, since reading about Doug's inspiration for the FCG, I looked for the effect at Small World. It's there, but you can't see the actual mechanism, just three dolls rising and falling in the same manner as a FCG marionette with the lines going into small holes in the ceiling. The crank arm must be quite long, as the dolls range of motion is a several feet. Luckily for us haunters, Doug was able to visualize the hardware!
Hey Otaku,

You must have visited Disneyland's version, right? I've only been to Disneyworld in Orlando, but I can say that you can see some of the mechanisms in the ceiling there.

One that comes to mind was a giant rotating disc with the crank in the middle connected to about ten or so lines. So the dolls would not only go up and down, they also went around in a circle at the same time. On hot air balloons, perhaps.

I thought I had read somewhere that Doug's inspiration came from that ride...

-dgm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts