Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently purchased a 48 port POE switch to complete a home security project in my home. In the spirit of "go big or go home" I purchased a 48 port model along with a 48 port breakout box that a corporate IT department would use. I realize I'm never going to wire up 47 security cameras in and around my house, so I was wondering......

Are there any practical applications for POE when it comes to prop building and or controlling? Or should I just focus on building prop controllers like picaxe or other types? This is new territory for me. I have some prop ideas, just looking for someone more experienced to guide me along through the learning curve a bit.

I'm wanting to change it up from what I had in the past.... Starting with low voltage items and prop controllers, and more self contained props.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not sure what you could use the switch for in prop building or triggering. The POE voltage is 48V running on pins 7/8. Too much voltage and too little power to run motors. Standard POE is up to 15 watts, POE+ 30 watts and UPOE is 60 watts. To turn POE on or off is a command line in the switch. Interesting thought. Like most networking stuff it's either on or off. It doesn't switch to on/off like we would like. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you could use the switch for in prop building or triggering. The POE voltage is 48V running on pins 7/8. Too much voltage and too little power to run motors. Standard POE is up to 15 watts, POE+ 30 watts and UPOE is 60 watts. To turn POE on or off is a command line in the switch. Interesting thought. Like most networking stuff it's either on or off. It doesn't switch to on/off like we would like. Good luck
Thanks jbaum, well, it was a nice thought thinking I could power my props all from one device! Oh well, no biggie I have the switch already and thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!

Fester

1 - 3 of 3 Posts