Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing a zombie fence shaker this year and it's my first-ever pneumatic prop. I got an 18gal compressor off Craigslist and will have that 50ft away so hopefully the noise doesn't ruin the rest of my scene.

Connecting with a 3/8 inch hose to this flow control connector. Controlled by a PicoBoo controller.

My question is this: do I want the solenoid a few inches from the cylinder at the top of the fence or can the solenoid be on the ground about 6 feet away with the PicoBoo?

Here's a quick and dirty sketch.

pneumaticsolenoid.jpg

Another way of asking it I guess is... do I want to limit the length of 1/4 inch tubing between the solenoid and the cylinder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have trouble with anything between the valve and cylinder on double acting cylinders. It's not suppose to but more times than not the cylinder side flow restriction interferes with the exhaust so I always put flow controls before the valve. As to the original post - The distance between the valve and the cylinder will determine the air consumption when using an exhaust - right? A 6 foot run would exhaust 6 feet of air vs a 6 inch run that would exhaust 6 inches of air or am I looking at it wrong again?

doubleActingCylinders.jpg

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have trouble with anything between the valve and cylinder on double acting cylinders. It's not suppose to but more times than not the cylinder side flow restriction interferes with the exhaust so I always put flow controls before the valve. As to the original post - The distance between the valve and the cylinder will determine the air consumption when using an exhaust - right? A 6 foot run would exhaust 6 feet of air vs a 6 inch run that would exhaust 6 inches of air or am I looking at it wrong again?

View attachment 572125
Typically you wanna use a 5 port valve for a double acting cylinder so any flow controls should be between the valve and the cylinder. If you put a flow device before the valve, you lose the ability to independently control both sides of the cylinder. As for the length of tubing affecting exhaust, I've never found that to be an issue. The volume of air in the tubing is very minimal compared to what's in the cylinder. BTW, I'm always impressed with your diagrams!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts