Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Love the forum!

Earlier today I built the PVC frame for a cauldron creeper (followed Mr Jingles dimensions). Next I need to fit a skeleton to it. I'm seeing $50ish 5ft skeletons in a few places online. Is there a quintessential skeleton or source? Also, I'm going to fit the neck with a 5rpm reindeer motor and a wiper motor for the cauldron at 15 rpm. Is this the standard?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I think the Costco pose-n-stay is probably the best bet at $40 but any of the 5' skellys will work.

15 rpms for the wiper motor is a bit fast for my taste, I have mine at about 6 rpms. Here's the thread on the one I built a couple years ago.

Thanks for the reply. That Costco guy looks fine, I'll order him. As for the motor, one of my concerns, and you talk about it in your post, is the whine of a wiper motor when using the speed controller. Is this eliminated by taking weight off the arm attached to the motor or is it a byproduct of using the speed controller? I've seen a few videos of the wiper motor with the RMP throttle and it's LOUD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a costume hooded robe with some cheesecloth and just pieces from a couple bag of bones I bought for like $12 each. Zip tied the bones to the pvc and used zip ties for the elbows and wrist

Picture after construction:
12141550_10205246632993902_845262633666889198_n.jpg

Here's a picture as we were setting up last year:
10424310_10203163149428115_3393532362001816302_n.jpg

We used a wiper motor and I have a video but it won't let me post the link because this is my first post. You can put this back together to see it: drive.google.com /file/d/0B-EvRfvHDGF4YmY1OFdWZnY5dGM/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I've never had much of a problem with PWM causing motor whine. I know others have posted about the noise but hard to say what the cause is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I built my stirring witch, I originally tried to use a wiper motor & speed controller (from FrightProps) in the cauldron, but the whine was so bad at the speed I wanted that it ruined the effect. I ended up using it for the head mechanism, and at that speed, it was fine. I wonder if motors or controllers from different manufacturers perform differently in terms of the whine?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
When I built my stirring witch, I originally tried to use a wiper motor & speed controller (from FrightProps) in the cauldron, but the whine was so bad at the speed I wanted that it ruined the effect. I ended up using it for the head mechanism, and at that speed, it was fine. I wonder if motors or controllers from different manufacturers perform differently in terms of the whine?
The frequency of the PWM does make a difference in the audible "whine". I also think that certain motors, even of the same make, can be noisier than others. The slower you go with PWM, it will typically increase the "whine" if the frequency is within audible range. Like I said, I've never had a problem but it may be that I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll probably get a speed controller and if it's too loud I'll use it for something else. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I used a vent motor in mine. They can still be found on ebay for under $10 shipped. I don't think I'd use a pose-n-stay. You'll have to disassemble some joints, and he probably won't have a natural movement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts