Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have to say I have zero knowledge of electronics at all. But I've read through a lot of pages on hacking Boris and I think I can do it. Maybe. I bought a cheap MP3 player to use as my audio source. Do I absolutely have to use a capacitor ( this is the newer Boris) or can I just skip it? Will it really do anything to the MP3 player? It would be much easier if I didn't have to use one.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
If you just want to hook it to your MP3 player, just cut the micro-bone off, take the two wires and solder on a mono mini plug. I did this to my first one and it worked fine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The capacitor is to filter electrical power coming FROM Boris to your audio equipment. Boris sends voltage down the wires to power the original microphone.

I'd suggest installing it, but many people have not installed it and not had problems. It's dependent upon your audio source.

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Help please

Ok, now this Boris thing is really driving me crazy. I bought one newer Boris that I hooked up without a capacitor. It went well and I liked it so much, I bought another one, but this time,the older Boris. The older one sounds so much worse than the newer one - lots of static. I tried it with and without the capacitor thinking it might make a difference - it didn't. I have a track with voices separated on both channels. The newer one works great and only moves its mouth when it is supposed to. The older one moves its mouth to the correct channel but also a little to the other channel. What am I doing wrong or is the old Boris so much worse than the newer one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kept the internal speaker but hooked up computer speakers. I was trying to keep it easy so I just muted the internal speakers a little by taping the speaker holes with scotch tape. But the other problem is that it still moves to the channel it should be receiving no sound from.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
How did you connect your audio input jack to Boris, and what kind did you use ? Are you sure that you don't have your channels crossing in or around that connection ?

did you mix your own audio track ? If you adjust your balance while listening to the track on a stereo, see if you can hear the other channel. This might help you troubleshoot where the problem is coming in....:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ebay. I lucked out and got the older style this week for a lot less than I paid for the first one two weeks ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went and doubled checked everything and it looks fine. I connected Boris to a 1/8 mono plug with screw connections. The audio track I edited in Audacity with silence in between the speaking parts.

If I turn down the volume it's a little better but why would there be static during those parts? I guess I should get a potentiometer but the first Boris works so well without these things. I'm kind of disappointed in the older Boris and wish I bought a second newer version.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
I have never worked on an older style Boris, but it sounds like you need to add the cap and the pot to him. If you are going to go that far, I think I would bypass the speaker with the resistor as well. At least with the pot, you'll have some control over him aside from your volume control on your MP3 player.

I am actually running my Boris off of a hacked remote controlled Sony Discman. I have Boris connected to the headphone jack and my speakers are connected to the line out. I can crank my speakers as loud as I want without ever having to adjust Boris which was my goal when we first worked on the hack here last year.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have you verified that you have the switches on the older Boris set properly? As I recall, only "D" and "On" should be in the "on" position.

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts