Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm doing preliminary planning for one of my 2016 projects;
A giant mutant hermit crab creature with a 55 gallon toxic waste barrel as the shell.
One of the effects I hope to achieve is to make the whole creature "pulsate" with green radiation.

The plan is to have the cladding be partially made up of translucent diffusing material, with 3-wire rope lighting beneath.
It will be pretty big, - 4 leg limbs will cover a 6ft to 8ft square foot print, plus the two bulky pincer arms.

SO - does anyone know a reliable source for rope light / accessories?
I've checked out a couple of sources, but have no idea how reliable they are.

OR - does anyone have a viable alternative to using rope light?

I tried do a search here, but that didn't seem to help.
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quickly run out to lowes, Home Depot, target, Walmart, whatever stores you have and see if the have any green light strings left. Led would be my preference. Last longer, little to no heat, and can hook more together into a single string.

Edit: There's also the option on ribbon lights. Can go with Rgb lights and set for green, then you have the option to use them for other projects, or get just the green color. Amazon is a good starting place for any of the above too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - I barely have any Idea how I will make this thing yet but that's part of the fun!
The initial 2016 prop planned was (among other things) a mutant yellow-jacket carrying off a TOTer-
- but I scored a free like-new barrel , and what else would you do with one of those?:rolleyes:
Hopefully do both - time will tell.

Flattered you thought of my display watching Star Wars!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Try Orange Tree Trade. They have sales quite often during holidays but currently nothing going on. I picked up quite a bit of 3 wire from them at 25% off during their Pre-Christmas sale. They have an unbelievable super chasing 5 wire which is as good as it gets but comes in one color (multi). If you can find a way to work the 5 wire into your theme grab some. They have a quality product and highly recommend them.

http://www.orangetreetrade.com/shop/

·
Registered
465 Posts
I might go the HolidayCoro.com route too.

I just did 3 LED strips (5M each) on my house for Christmas using a Raspberry Pi running Falcon Player Pro (free) - you can do anything with fades and chases relatively simply by creating them in their Nutcracker software (also free) and uploading to the Pi.

I ordered my LED strips from aliexpress.com from a reputable seller (Ray Wu). Not sure if you want to go the "order from China" route though. Mine work great!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't have a Rasp-what'chama-callit, but that's something to consider, thanks!
Questions:
What controller do you have connected directly to lightrope?
How long did it take for the order to ship from China?
Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts