Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year I want to project onto a 4-ft X 8-ft area and I'd rather not blow $20+ on a jumbo shower curtain or try to patch two regular ones together. For anyone with experience projecting onto bed sheets:

- Do you have any problems with the hot spot showing through?

- Does thread count matter? I imagine high thread counts would produce a sharper image and less hot-spotting, but does it also make the image dimmer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Next year I want to project onto a 4-ft X 8-ft area and I'd rather not blow $20+ on a jumbo shower curtain or try to patch two regular ones together. For anyone with experience projecting onto bed sheets:

- Do you have any problems with the hot spot showing through?

- Does thread count matter? I imagine high thread counts would produce a sharper image and less hot-spotting, but does it also make the image dimmer?
Don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I know that Home Depot carries a heavy weight plastic drop cloth that is translucent and likely large enough for your purpose. Can't tell how translucent it is from the picture, but perhaps something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-9-ft-x-12-ft-2-mil-Drop-Cloth-DCHD-2/204711648

3 mil or 4 mil might be better but also more expensive.

Harbor Freight may also carry something similar and at a cheaper price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I know that Home Depot carries a heavy weight plastic drop cloth that is translucent and likely large enough for your purpose. Can't tell how translucent it is from the picture, but perhaps something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-9-ft-x-12-ft-2-mil-Drop-Cloth-DCHD-2/204711648

3 mil or 4 mil might be better but also more expensive.

Harbor Freight may also carry something similar and at a cheaper price.

Murpup,
Translucent material doesn't work for rear projection, the projector beam is highly visible from the front.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've had good luck with rolls of table cloth plastic from Party City and plastic drops from Harbor Freight. The cheaper, the better since that translates toi thinner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Murpup,
Translucent material doesn't work for rear projection, the projector beam is highly visible from the front.
I bought one of those cheap WindowFX units from HD this year. It came with a translucent piece of plastic. Worked just fine for me in a rear projection mode. What you are saying is that there is something different about the material they include with the unit vs. a plain piece of translucent plastic or a translucent shower curtain?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I bought one of those cheap WindowFX units from HD this year. It came with a translucent piece of plastic. Worked just fine for me in a rear projection mode. What you are saying is that there is something different about the material they include with the unit vs. a plain piece of translucent plastic or a translucent shower curtain?

I don't wanna get off topic here and I don't know what the material is that comes with that kit but anything translucent or frosted will hotspot.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I use a dollar store plastic tablecloth (gray or white). They're 108" x 54" so just about the right size for what you want to do, plus a little extra to attach/hang. I might get a bit of hot spot with the projector directly behind the curtain, more noticeable in pictures and completely acceptable in person, and with the projector on the floor it wasn't an issue at all.

20171031_211531.jpg 20171031_211746.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have great luck using the shear window curtains from Walmart they come in all sizes and colors. have built in loops on both ends for a curtain rod just run string through them to hang. I use mostly black so they are less visible at night outside, minimum hot spotting

·
Registered
476 Posts
I tried a white sheet last year while i was searching for something to use for rear projection and it didn't work very well. if i can remember right it did hot spot pretty bad and the image was blurry due to the density of the sheet, It was to solid. I'm sure a thinner more sheer sheet could work but i stopped my research after the great success i had with the cheap shower curtain. I think the shower curtain i used was a 4x6, pretty close to what u need and it was only like 2.95 at walmart. I did try to find a bigger shower curtain or a material that was around the same and had no luck. I was hopping to find a big role of a material that was close to what they make the curtains out of maybe from the manufacturer that supplies it to the place that makes the actual shower curtains but came up with nadda. If you have a source for a good size shower curtain that works well id go with that. Though the shower curtains are pretty fragile, having something more sturdy like a sheet would be nice. Ill probably do some more projections next year so ill be on the look out and doing more tests through out the year, if i find anything that works really well ill be sure to post it.

That home depot drop cloth is really translucent once it's rolled out. it's just a clear plastic. i've got some right now that i used for some decorations this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a white cloth shower curtain liner this year and it worked great. It did show up in the window though so I'm going to try something else for outside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts