Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this cardboard banner at a thrift store last week and picked it up for 50 cents and noticed it had a strange spelling of Halloween (at least to me) using an apostrophe between the E's in Halloween. Today I received a book of reproductions of old Halloween postcards for fathers day and noticed the same spelling was on a lot of them. Does anyone know the background on this spelling of Hallowe'en?

Banner
spelling1.jpg

Postcards
spelling2.jpg

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Basically, it is a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening" (although the first word tends to drop off for some reason).

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Halloween is actually Hallowe'en, which is the contraction (shortened version) of All Hallows' Evening (Eve or Even). That's why when you see vintage Halloween decor, it tends to be spelled the original way, Hallowe'en, if not All Hallows' Eve. We just took out the apostrophe for some reason later on...for ease, I suppose.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Glad to see some well informed Halloween Historians on here!! I actually prefer the original contracted spelling.
I prefer the original spellings, as well...either the Hallowe'en or the All Hallows' Eve. When I do crafts or painting that use the word, I tend to want to write those versions.

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
Interesting how the first Hallowe'en decoration is also in French!! We are used to seeing French on all packaging up here in Canada!!!
lol, yes..we lived in Canada for a year and my son still talks about the cereal Capitaine Crounche instead of Captain Crunch..of course it was odd buying milk in a bag to me also! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts