Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw two on ebay and would like opinions on them. I know nothing about projectors other than you need alot of lumens. I would like just to use with the fearfx in the window and looking to either use a flash drive (I dont have a dvd player) or ipad mini hook up. I see these two have a spot to put the flash drive which is what Im looking for. As far as bulb life what should I be looking for as far as hours left which would make it worthwhile to get a used projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191697205497?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141783123225?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ginger, before you make a decision on a projector, you need to look at a lot more than how bright it is. These "high-performance" business projectors are meant to project a bright, colorful, high-res, picture over a fairly long distance in a bright conference room, year 'round. In most cases, none of these conditions are going to exist where you're planning to use a projector.

Most of us use projectors to project an image onto a sheet or shower curtain liner, in a dark room, from about eight feet away. You don't need a lot of lumens to do that. In fact, you don't want a lot of lumens because the brighter the image the brighter the room itself is going to be, and the more visible the screen will be in the window. What you want is a lower-power projector that's bright enough to project a good image on the screen from 8-10 feet away, but not make the screen appear too bright from the outside. A lower power, and cheaper, projector will do that for you just fine in most cases.

Now, if you're projecting outside, over a long distance, then you want the higher-power projector, but if you're projecting onto a window screen, from a relatively short distance, those extra lumens will hurt more than help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ginger, before you make a decision on a projector, you need to look at a lot more than how bright it is. These "high-performance" business projectors are meant to project a bright, colorful, high-res, picture over a fairly long distance in a bright conference room, year 'round. In most cases, none of these conditions are going to exist where you're planning to use a projector.

Most of us use projectors to project an image onto a sheet or shower curtain liner, in a dark room, from about eight feet away. You don't need a lot of lumens to do that. In fact, you don't want a lot of lumens because the brighter the image the brighter the room itself is going to be, and the more visible the screen will be in the window. What you want is a lower-power projector that's bright enough to project a good image on the screen from 8-10 feet away, but not make the screen appear too bright from the outside. A lower power, and cheaper, projector will do that for you just fine in most cases.

Now, if you're projecting outside, over a long distance, then you want the higher-power projector, but if you're projecting onto a window screen, from a relatively short distance, those extra lumens will hurt more than help.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now one more question, I see they also have the Santa fx for Christmas and that one seems to have a lot of color, would the cheaper projector work for that too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The lower-cost projectors I've seen and used work great on color. Their issue is brightness in lit spaces. The power they have isn't enough to project a real business/home theater-quality color image in a bright room. But if you're using them to project in a dark room at night, they are fine.

I have one projector that I got for $25 that had been for home theater use but something went bad in it and everything it projects has a slightly green hue. The seller told me he was getting rid of it because of that and I told him I was buying it because of it. The green hue works awesome with the Atmosfear Ghostly Apparitions video. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower-cost projectors I've seen and used work great on color. Their issue is brightness in lit spaces. The power they have isn't enough to project a real business/home theater-quality color image in a bright room. But if you're using them to project in a dark room at night, they are fine.

I have one projector that I got for $25 that had been for home theater use but something went bad in it and everything it projects has a slightly green hue. The seller told me he was getting rid of it because of that and I told him I was buying it because of it. The green hue works awesome with the Atmosfear Ghostly Apparitions video. :)
Ok that's good to know. I did see one on ebay last night the seller mentioned something about a green hue in the picture but didn't know that would actually be a plus. Ill have to see if I can find that one again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts