Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Im looking to have a full size (30'' x 80'') door open and close? Im wondering how much stroke or throw it would take to open the door a full 90 degrees? I want the door to open and have something walk/come out. It will be an old door so i don't care about mounting/drilling. I figured i would mount the cylinder in the middle of the door instead of the top, like a door closer. It wouldn't be moving much weight so maybe just a 3/4 bore?

Anyone know how big/long the cylinder would have to be?

I was looking at frightprops "Lid Open Kit". Think the 12'' would do it?FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories

Thanks!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
you could probably make yourself a quick mock-up if you already have the door hung. take some measurements with the door closed, and then again with it open. you will likely need to have some sort of foot mount to move the cylinder or the rod away from the wall a bit so it does not bind when opened completely. I would also recommend some sort of speed control and a mechanical restraint like a cable or chain to keep it from over extending and damaging your cylinder. :)

If you can, go for a bigger cylinder. I think you will find it will work much smoother with a lot less pressure. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good points from Diabolik, but you've actually got a long range of options as far as distance. The closer to the hinged side of the door you mount it, the less of a stroke you will need. At the same time, the closer to the hinged side of the door you mount it, the more effort (pressure) it will take.

Also take into account how it will be mounted. Will it be in line with the door, or perpendicular to the door?

If the cylinder is mounted on the wall in which the door is located, you can go with a fairly short stroke to accomplish 90 degrees. (it would also be the simplest and least likely to bind).

If the cylinder is mounted on a wall perpendicular to the door, the stroke could vary, and you'd need extension bumps or some mechanism to keep it from binding.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice! The door is on the same wall where I would be mounting so you think a 12" will do?

I dont have the door and stuff in place yet but I guess I could just measure on a existing door some where.

Anyone tried this? Sounds simple enough but you never know tll you try it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
12" should be fine.

The cylinder will be mounted on the wall, with an attachment point on the door.

One end of the cylinder (wall mount or door mount) should be mounted away from the surface. (ie. at no time do you want the cylinder to lie flush with the door or the wall). Think "Right Triangle". I would mount the wall end of the cylinder away from the wall, and mount the door end close to the surface or the door. But either way will work.

Here's how to get a good starting point.

-Assemble your cylinder with the mount that will go on the door.
-Position the door where you want it open.
-Place the mount on the cylinder on the door where you 'think' it would work.
-This will give you an approximate position of the wall mount (have a friend/family member/victim hold it temporarily)
-Close the door, extend the cylinder and see where it falls on the closed door.

This will be a good starting point, but some fine tuning may be needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts