Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few props that I painted with some cheap neon/fluorescent craft paint last year. Effect was meh. I am looking at getting a better light (a 24" or 48" tube blacklight blue light instead of the BLB CFLs I have now) and want them to pop a lot more.

My question is, how far does Wildfire actual go? If I were to buy the 10 1-oz. kit below from Amazon, how much could I paint with that? Let's use a mostly full-size human skull as an example. How much of a 1 oz. bottle would I use to paint the whole thing?

https://amzn.com/B00CH6AHUS

Also, would I bet better off painting things the color I want them and just using the invisible Wildfire as a topcoat? Would you get the base color to show or does it alter the color a lot?

https://amzn.com/B00CH69FO2

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
Depends on the look you are going for. If you want it glowing slap you in the face neon white, I can't help a whole lot.

I will tell you how I do it, however.

First:

Start with a blacklight neutral color to your skull/subject.

I personally paint a base coat on the (plaster) skulls the color I want.

Next, you'll want to mix your paint under blacklight. If you care how it looks under regular light, check both regular and blacklight.

I PERSONALLY WATER DOWN THE WILDFIRE PAINT AS MUCH AS 4-1 WATER TO PAINT. I end up with colored water, really. IT WORKS!

Because, I don't want a neon glow, I want something more subtle. My first experimenst:

Getting more comfortable, I found a mix of purple, green, and optical white was my favorite mix for skulls, and the glow from that, would actually pick up the underlying base coat as well. This gives a subtle brown/tan color in normal light, but the watered down paint makes it just look a little dirty. To give you an idea, here's a bunch, I'd used about 3/4 of that artist kit's white, and little of the purple and green.

Normal light.

Black light:

I personally have since decided I didn't like the eye and nose sockets painted...

My latest skull, last year as part of a secret reaper:

^^^^

Those pics are under a fairly weak little el cheapo black light. Under a pair of 4ft tubes...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a few props that I painted with some cheap neon/fluorescent craft paint last year. Effect was meh. I am looking at getting a better light (a 24" or 48" tube blacklight blue light instead of the BLB CFLs I have now) and want them to pop a lot more.

My question is, how far does Wildfire actual go? If I were to buy the 10 1-oz. kit below from Amazon, how much could I paint with that? Let's use a mostly full-size human skull as an example. How much of a 1 oz. bottle would I use to paint the whole thing?

https://amzn.com/B00CH6AHUS

Also, would I bet better off painting things the color I want them and just using the invisible Wildfire as a topcoat? Would you get the base color to show or does it alter the color a lot?

https://amzn.com/B00CH69FO2
A 1 oz bottle of wildfire should go pretty far, especially if you water it down. But it really does matter what effect you are looking for. If your skull has a lot of texture that you want to show up then don't water down the paint. If you are painting solid, then water away. :)

It doesn't take much wildfire paint either per piece normally. A little goes a long way.

Also if you want the wildfire paint to pop, then paint the item first with regular titanium white acrylic paint, then dry, then cover with your wildfire.

If you are using the invisible uv paints I recommend painting it in regular acrylics first then after drying cover with the invisible uv. But a note here: wildfire invisible uv paints are more on the pastel side and are not as eye-popping as the regular wildfire.

Hope this helps.
I have put some pics below of my wildfire items for examples.

Organism Mouth Jaw Marine biology Cryptid

Cephalopod Octopus giant pacific octopus Marine invertebrates octopus

Octopus giant pacific octopus octopus Cephalopod Marine invertebrates

Product Fashion accessory Textile Crochet Turquoise

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.