Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I'm toying with the idea of doing a window projection from AtmosfearFx or Atmosfx. I haven't seen one in person only on YouTube. So if anyone has this or has seen one, would it be worth my time? Are they cool? Can you see them clearly is my biggest concern. Also I do not have a projector so im also looking for recommendations on certain bands/models. For a decent price. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Window projections are great and easy to do. They are an easy way to add motion to your scene.

All you need is a shower curtain and a projector. Scour eBay and Craigslist for used name-brand projectors - Epson, ViewSonic, Asus etc. I would look for something with a short throw lens and over 1500 lumens

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
You can use a cheaper projector with less lumens - but it has to be completely dark outside. The short throw will help project the image clearly from a relatively short distance from the window. An LED bulb would be best, (it will last forever) but they are more $$.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've used a window projection for the past two seasons and it's been the highlight of the night each time. Be prepared for people to ask you a ton of questions about it!

I used Ghostly Apparitions first and then last year I used Zombie Invasion. The zombies were by far the biggest hit. I had people lined up in cars taking pictures and filming video. It was great fun!

I used a cheap white plastic table cloth that I got at Dollar Tree for my projection material. It worked well for the zombie projection because the video actually looks like they're behind a plastic sheet to begin with, so clarity didn't need to be spot on. Plus, I'm using an ancient projector that I got from work (they were throwing it out), so it can't give me a clear projection anyway. My projector was probably 5-6 feet from the window in order to get the proportions right.

I think it's worth spending some extra money to get a decent projector because once you've done this type of illusion, you will probably find yourself trying to figure out other ways to project images throughout your haunt!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah, you can get a lower resolution projector and don't need all of the bells and whistles (3D, wifi, etc.) for this type of projection. I think you can find something in the sub $200 range on eBay or Craigslist. The more lumens the better.

If projecting from inside, consider how you'll get the sound outside.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do any of you know if a projection will work on a tinted window? I plan to dress up my SUV as a Hearse and want to project some old black and white cartoons from inside on the left rear window. I plan to have my crypt keeper come through the opening of the sun roof pneumatically and perform his animatronic talking routine. Its a long routine that will use car horns, car lights, led lights, motorized spinner hubcaps to simulate motion for the routine, fog, and some DMX light bars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We got our projector off of Newegg.com for $120.00. It is 1800 lumens and works great! I also bought the projection screen material from Atmosphere FX. Maybe too much, but it worked great and it is re usable. I did a rear projection last year in a window, and this year am probably going to do either a projection on a fog curtain in a door way, or simply on a black wall at the end of a hallway in the haunt. It should work fine on tinted windows, just will be darker, obviously. So you will have to play with the brightness of the projector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Projected zombies from inside my jeep onto lightly tinted windows - worked well. Need a short throw projector though if projector will be in vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts