Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have made some tombstones with the pink/blue styrofoam, but ended up paining them with a mixture of the drylock and other paint to get the color I wanted.
I am worried that by mixing the paint with drylock I am worried about the paint running or getting damaged.

So my question is, is there a different way to "seal" the tombstones? for example using a clear lacquer or something like that?

I have spent way too much time to have these get damaged. Normally I use just drylock, but the mixture I got from Lowes was a little dark, and I had to lighten the color up with some base white latex paint.

Thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've made a ton of tombstones and covered them with a mixture of dry lock and paint. Sometimes I used outdoor latex and sometimes i used indoor latex...whatever I have on hand. Thats my base coat. Then I paint more detail with regular acrylic paint and finish it up with a coat or two of matte sealer. I live in Ohio, which means my tombstones are out in the weather for a month. Could be sunshine, rain or snow!! So far...they all look great and I've used them for 2 seasons. I might recoat them this year with sealer again...depends on how they look when I get them out. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Around here if you wanted your created tombstone to look absolutely "Real", it would have to have the Grey/black and orange fungus on parts of it. Which I was told years ago is from air pollution?
Anybody ever done this?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know there are more of you out there that make these things!!! chime in! Anyway to seal a tombstone AFTER you have created it?
Terra or someone should know

Trying to be safe here. after tea staining my stones, I noticed the bottom of the stone showing signs of peeling/cracking paint from the moisture. I'd like to try to salvage these new stones if I can!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,247 Posts
If they are well covered in the drylock and latex paint layers, you can spray on or paint on spar urethane. Paint on if you want to be safe. They also sell spray on clear rubber seal paint - it adds a bit of texture, if you hold your hand too long on a spot it will look a little whitish (like talc stains) so you have to constantly have to be spraying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't done much with tombstones but I've ordered from univfoam.com before to get my foam and cutting tools and I saw they have links to websites that carry sealers and adhesives. Check there you might find what you're looking for

·
Registered
201 Posts
Where do you live, what kind of weather do you get? I don't see how paint would run once it's dry so you don't have to worry about that. I don't seal mine, just paint only and had left them out in the rain with no problems.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the issue is the foam I am using . It is the tarpapered yellow foam where I have removed the tar paper. I think (as Terra has pointed out to me) that the tar paper may have left an oily residue therefore the paint is more prone to not sticking compared to pained blue or pink foam.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you think it has some residue left on it then I wouldn't do anything more to it. If the paint wont stick to it then it's gonna peel off even if you put a sealer over it. I would think you would just be wasting money and be disappointed if the paint came off? Is the whole thing peeling or just a few small pieces? If just a few parts peeling maybe you can peel it off and sand over it and repaint it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to let them be I think. See how they hold up this year. I only noticed this on a base corner that had been sitting in a pool of water while tea staining.
So for this year, they will be fine I am sure. I will evaluate them next year to see how they did "wear-wise" and if I need to repaint then, I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts