Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time making props. I am using paper mache, but I want to have a smoother look to it. What is a good product to add that I can smooth and sculpt. Something low cost would be ideal.

Also, I am making a burlap scarecrow, what type of product should I use that will adhere the burlap it to my form (base).

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want smooth, seamless mache, the best way to go is paper-mache clay. You can Google for a recipe. Mache clay is good because you can sand it smooth after it dries. You could make your form with the standard glue and paper strips, then cover with a layer of mache clay.

For your burlap scarecrow, any standard industrial glue would work, just let it set for a while to get it tacky. Silicone might work too.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A lot of people modge-podge over mache to smooth it out. I have used a thinner monster mud mix (more paint less filler). It seemed to go OK.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been using celluclay this year and it is fantastic. Powdered mache. I use wood filler to smooth over the rough spots. After that just a little sandpaper makes it smooth, then seal with a water seal type paint like dry lok or i found a white sealer paint at walmart, then paint colors. I am doing the same with a 4' gargoyle and plan on coating it with a deck restore paint that kind of has the stone look and is protective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts