Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to accumulate quite a few store bought tombstones over the last few years and was wondering if there was any type of clear coat protectant I could apply to these? They chip easily and would like something to help prevent this that was safe to apply and wouldn't dissolve the foam. Does anyone have any suggestions? Btw, new to the forum, but I'm lovin it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My first thought is a clear varnish. If you are applying it over painted foam it should be ok, but I'm not sure what it would do to the bare exposed foam caused by any preexisting chips or cracks. I would try it on one I don't like very much first. ;-p

-Handy_Haunter

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I too have amassed quite a few store bought tombstones and when they have too many scratches or dings or if I just get tired of them I move them to the back of the display and sometimes even turn them backwards. The store bought variety tend to be made of the cheapest styrofoam and most aerosol paints and varnishes will melt them unless you repaint with latex paint first. You can get "oops" paint from Home Depot for $5 a gallon and if you ask nicely they'll add tint until you get a shade of grey you can use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for you replies, there's not really any exposed foam but the paint thats on it is such a light coat that I'm pretty sure the varnish would eat right thru it, just kinda hoping there was another option. The shading detail is impressive enough that if I were to paint over it I doubt if I could replicate it, I still might have to resort to this because I really love my tombstones and want them to last as long as possible...

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
My problem with those tombstones is that the wind always breaks the metal holders through them. I end up having to tape up the backs of them and then hope that they don't break through the front. It's because the foam is so cheap and thin (as previously stated).

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have to say that Wal Mart has some pretty nice looking tombstones for a mere $13 a piece. Sealing them up and making sure they don't get busted would be great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies, I'm going to hunt for the water based poly,any other ideas please keep them coming!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts