Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of threads regarding using Shiatsu massagers for props. There are a few different Shiatsu massagers on the market, , (i.e. neck massager, chair cushion massager, etc.) What kind should I be looking for at garage sales?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nox: just about any shiatsu will be fine. the most common ones are the dual post massagers that spin in opposite directions. Hand held devices are what you should keep an eye out for. thrift stores have these things all the time. check out the link below to see what I'm talking about.

LadyAlthea check this out:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/78101-shiatsu-massager-grave-grabber-part-three-completing-basic-grave-grabber.html

just search "shiatsu" on the halloweenforum homepage and a million threads showing how tos on these things will pop up

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Yes you really need the neck massagers. You open up the fabric covering and basically remove the plastic end caps so that you have just the rotating arms.You can hook pvc up to arms and use plastic pipe hanging tape to control how the rotation of the pvc arms will effect the prop movement. This prop is fairly simple to actually construct,but be prepared to spend hours trying to get the correct movement. That is the real trick trying to figure out where you have to band the arms down and with what amount of tension to get the desired movement. There are a multitude of movements that can be achieved and it will take you some time to get the desired result.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so I found one of the HoMedics ones (like Spooky Sam used, and many others, from what I can tell). Here's where I'm stuck -I removed the "egg-shaped" tips and now just have the rubber-sleeved heavy duty springs that stick up at an angle from the rotating discs. I'm using the bell-ended 1/2" PVC conduit that Spooky Sam recommended. It's a nice fit, but if I literally slip the bell over the stubs then the two pieces rotate in very wide circles. SS's pics of the mech itself aren't very clear. I guess I'm wondering if the PVC is supposed to slide all the way down the springs (so it pretty much sits on the rotating disc) or if I should be somehow trying to hold it above. And if it slides all the way down, then do I use the plumber's tape to hold it "straight"? I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, but for some reason this just isn't clicking for me.

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
It's a nice fit, but if I literally slip the bell over the stubs then the two pieces rotate in very wide circles.
This is where using the plumbers tape comes in. The tape (a) restricts the movement of the PVC to a back and forth movement and (b) hold the PVC onto the mechanism.

Check out my tutorial for the build especially step 2

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/78100-shiatsu-massager-grave-grabber-part-two-pvc-armatures.html

This should be a little more clear

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Another use for one of these massagers is to use it in a cauldren for a stirring witch. We threw one together in minutes and it is so easy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FINALLY just found one of the Homedics Shiatsu neck massagers at my local Salvation Army thrift store for $8 last night. Thanks for the great tutorial Herman...looks like I'm off to Home Depot now to pick up everything else I need.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'm in the process of attempting the grave grabber that Herman Secret posted. As in my last post, I picked up a Homedics Shiatsu neck massager. I'm in STAGE 1 of Hermans tutorial, (removed the cover and the fabric) and realized that 1/2" pvc will not fit over the remaining poles, (actually springs). I have 3/4" pvc also and that does fit over it well, (a little loose). Has anyone attempted this with 3/4" pvc? HELP!!!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Ok, I'm in the process of attempting the grave grabber that Herman Secret posted. As in my last post, I picked up a Homedics Shiatsu neck massager. I'm in STAGE 1 of Hermans tutorial, (removed the cover and the fabric) and realized that 1/2" pvc will not fit over the remaining poles, (actually springs). I have 3/4" pvc also and that does fit over it well, (a little loose). Has anyone attempted this with 3/4" pvc? HELP!!!
Hey Nox,I have 3/4 on mine.I am tempted to try 1 inch to see how it looks but am fearful I wont get it back together again,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts