Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these types of LED RGB bulbs? If so, can you tell me how they look for lighting props. Are the colors vibrant or kind of washed out? Also, how is the brightness? Most I find seem to be 3 Watts. Are 3 Watt RGB LEDs bright enough? How does a 3 Watt LED compare to the wattage of a standard light bulb? Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.
Light Product Visual effect lighting Lighting Font

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,307 Posts
My main complaint is having to use the remote to reset the color EVERY TIME you turn them off, then back on. They default to cycling through all the colors when power is restored. Also they have a distinct hot spot to the light they put out. Easily fixed by putting a couple pieces of opaque scotch tape across the lens to diffuse the light. I use two of them in outdoor yard stakes for highlighting props. The light is bright enough as long as they are within 10ft of what you want lit. Some colors throw further than others.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My main complaint is having to use the remote to reset the color EVERY TIME you turn them off, then back on. They default to cycling through all the colors when power is restored. Also they have a distinct hot spot to the light they put out. Easily fixed by putting a couple pieces of opaque scotch tape across the lens to diffuse the light. I use two of them in outdoor yard stakes for highlighting props. The light is bright enough as long as they are within 10ft of what you want lit. Some colors throw further than others.
Mine are on a timer and I haven't noticed them resetting back to the fade.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a couple of dozen of these. They are in ~6" long sections of 2"PVC painted black so you don't see the light at the source - just on the target. They are great for highlighting props, like a skelly. I use multiple from different angles so the highlight shows up differently on each prop. A little blue here, a little red there.

To keep from resetting the colors when they are power cycled I just leave them on 24x7. At 3 watts each 30 of them would be less than a 100W incandescent. In the PVC tube, they are pretty waterproof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think mine are 5W and they are certainly bright enough to light up a prop the 6'-10' away. Building an adjustable housing that allows you to control the spread of the beam is very helpful if you want to focus/concentrate the light on a specific detail.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with these types of LED RGB bulbs? If so, can you tell me how they look for lighting props. Are the colors vibrant or kind of washed out? Also, how is the brightness? Most I find seem to be 3 Watts. Are 3 Watt RGB LEDs bright enough? How does a 3 Watt LED compare to the wattage of a standard light bulb? Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.
View attachment 264649
I use LED RGB color changing lights with remotes for all my lighting. I use bulbs for my patio down lights, different size floods for lighting props, and strip lights for tight spaces and to illuminate the interior of props.
Green Purple Cemetery Font Grave

Small LED flood light with various color options (50% power)
Flower Lighting Plant Wood Tints and shades

LED bulbs in patio ceiling, yellow setting (50% power) - LED bulbs under bone pile, orange and yellow setting (100% power) - LED large flood, light yellow setting (75% power) shining up in front of hanging props at archways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts