Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a copy of HeavyM, and have been tinkering with it. So far it's about the closest thing I can find to Façade Signage in terms of easy to use. (In my opinion Façade Signage is probably the coolest software I've ever seen, but waaaaay too expensive for the average person.) I also just acquired a projector, so now the problem I'm running into is projection when trying to map an object. I connect a VGA cord from the computer to the projector, and then mirror the computer screen image to the second monitor (the projector). Which does project the exact same image shown on my computer monitor. The problem is, if you watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKF-AfkNJI#t=53 you will see that what the guy is projecting isn't exactly what's shown on his monitor. His monitor shows the entire HeavyM software open on his computer, but what's being projected on his wall appears to be ONLY the shapes he's crating in the software, and not a mirror image of his computer screen. I can't figure out how to accomplish that. Anyone know?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Icepick, and then it should project only the shapes, and not a mirror image of the first monitor?
It should. Not sure if you watch the YouTube videos on the software. The output of the software send to the second monitor, in this case projector. I can't say for 100% certainty, as I don't have that software yet, but that's how it should work.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It should. Not sure if you watch the YouTube videos on the software. The output of the software send to the second monitor, in this case projector. I can't say for 100% certainty, as I don't have that software yet, but that's how it should work.
Yeah, that I can see. Just wasn't sure how it's accomplished. Well there's a guy who uploaded an English speaking tutorial on youtube, so I asked him. He pointed out the part in his video where he says I need to have my monitor set in "extended mode" which I've tried, but then he points out on the video how I need to select the HeavyM output window, he gets a dropdown menu, I assume from the HeavyM software, and there he selects "extended mode" as well. Unfortunately it doesn't show exactly where he's finding that dropdown menu because he quickly goes off screen to find it. I'd ask him, but he obviously only wants to post videos, but doesn't want to be bothered by questions about his videos, because he told me I need to contact HeavyM, and then he immediately disabled comments on his video. In other words, he likes showing off how smart he is about the software, but isn't actually interested in being bothered with helping people. It actually kind of ticked me off. I mean, if you're going to post a tutorial and ask people to subscribe to your youtube channel, then the least you can do is answer a few questions about your own tutorial. But I digress. I'm still on square one of not knowing how to project only the output screen. And unfortunately all of the other HeavyM tutorials I can find are in Italian.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, that I can see. Just wasn't sure how it's accomplished. Well there's a guy who uploaded an English speaking tutorial on youtube, so I asked him. He pointed out the part in his video where he says I need to have my monitor set in "extended mode" which I've tried, but then he points out on the video how I need to select the HeavyM output window, he gets a dropdown menu, I assume from the HeavyM software, and there he selects "extended mode" as well. Unfortunately it doesn't show exactly where he's finding that dropdown menu because he quickly goes off screen to find it. I'd ask him, but he obviously only wants to post videos, but doesn't want to be bothered by questions about his videos, because he told me I need to contact HeavyM, and then he immediately disabled comments on his video. In other words, he likes showing off how smart he is about the software, but isn't actually interested in being bothered with helping people. It actually kind of ticked me off. I mean, if you're going to post a tutorial and ask people to subscribe to your youtube channel, then the least you can do is answer a few questions about your own tutorial. But I digress. I'm still on square one of not knowing how to project only the output screen. And unfortunately all of the other HeavyM tutorials I can find are in Italian.
Who da man?? I just downloaded the software to help you out. Run your pc in extended view. When you launch the software, it will open a black screen along with the manipulation screen. Drag that black screen over to the right of your monitor till you see it showing up on your projector screen. Then click on the dotted lines box with arrows (full screen icon).Boom!! Full screen projecting your mapped shapes. Remember this is still in beta. It's very crude in its design, no mouse over pop ups explaining what your about to click on. I have an issue with a thin line of my "extended" background showing up in full screen. I can overcome that by making my desktop just a black screen instead of fancy pictures I suppose.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice!!! You da man!!! Thanks a bunch, Icepick. I'll give this a shot later this evening. I'll let you know if it worked for me, but it certainly makes a lot more sense than what the video showed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice!!! You da man!!! Thanks a bunch, Icepick. I'll give this a shot later this evening. I'll let you know if it worked for me, but it certainly makes a lot more sense than what the video showed.
On the right hand side of the window on your pc, click the target reticle (+), to help you see where your about the place the map shape close to where you need it. When you have them all placed, you will need to drag around the points. Deselect the reticle and start fine tuning. I just played around with it for a little till it started doing what I wanted. The effects have drop downs, and depending on what you choose, extra options will show up. I'm sure once you get the shapes all set, you'll have fun playing with it. I know I'm going to.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were right, it worked like a charm. Yeah, I started messing around with it, mapping a tombstone I have sitting in my house. It's such a cool program. Wish they'd release a full line of tutorials in English. Thanks a bunch for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts