Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since by 2009, I will have reached my allotted Space Limits for Props where I currently live and my Haunt keeps growing year after year, I am wondering what I should consider or will have to think about if I should decide to turn my Yard Haunt Professional? :confused:
I know there will be Parking, Security, Crowd Control, Permits, Sponsorships (if any), Possible Purchase or Lease of an alternate Location, Admissions and possibly Concessions.
Anything else I should consider?
What about separation of areas within a single location, such as a gorier Adult Section and a softer and more pleasant Children's Section?
ToT'ing, or any of the like?
As for Sponsorships or Endorsements, who should I approach for this, as it helps, as I have so read on a couple of boards, to offset Costs associated with Professional Yard Haunting.
What of Actors and Actresses? How does one get them to come and be a part of a Professional Crew?
Anyone who can help me figure this out, please do respond, as I could use any Advice or even for that matter, wisdom that Pros may have learned over the years.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Lots of questions there. I will pick one area and say that when starting a pro haunt you have to consider that everything has to be more interactive and at a much higher level.

All your props will have to have a purpose in the scene. For the most part, that means that it isn't good enough anymore that people just walk through and admire the pretty decorations.

You also need to be unique. No more shopping at Walmart and the other discount stores. People paying to go through your haunt don't want to see any of the same things they bought last week for their own home.

The pro haunts have the same problem, just on a much larger scale. Many people going through are tired of seeing the same $10,000 animatronics in all of them.

It doesn't really take that much money to build the stuff, but you better have the time. Shop more at Home Depot than at a Halloween store.

There are other boards where the pros are more likely to hang out and discuss the business and technical aspects of haunts. There was a very interesting thread the other day with a link to a site that talked about what it takes to scare someone and what makes a good or bad pro haunt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
pro haunt forum

Larry kirchner owner of the Darkness in St. Louis has HauntWorld.com plus a magazine called HauntWorld this is some good info for those wanting to go pro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts