Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello haunters,

I want to build a bottomless pit prop this year and have already watched a few "how to" videos about it. My first step was going to be to get a couple pieces of plexiglass from Lowe's and take it to the auto glass tinting store and have it done right. However, the guy at the one shop I've gone to so far (who I think just didn't want to be bothered to do it in the first place) says that mirror tint will not stick to plexiglass. However on the how to videos I watched there was no mention of that problem. I don't really want to use glass and a regular mirror because I don't want to worry about breakage.

Has anybody had experience with this issue or heard about it?

Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you want the clearest and best effect, you're going to have some problems with plexiglass. First, it always flexes and this alone will distort the scene. Second, tint when applied to plexiglass is not the clearest. A good place to look for cheap or free glass and mirror is in your local classifieds. There are plenty of table tops or pieces of furniture with thick glass that you can take to a glass shop to have cut and tinted. This is a picture of my bottomless prop with security mirror on the top and regular mirror on the bottom. I slid the glass to the side just a hair so you can see the edge on the bottom of the pic. Well.jpg [HR][/HR]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I built one with plexiglass and "Gila Film" from an auto parts store. It stuck beautifully to the plexiglass. 5 years later it looks good as new! I don't have any photos available though.

Eric

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ive had a bit of trouble with it but I did not apply in a solid table so I don't think that helped and have givin up
really wanted it for this year though

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also used the gila film on plexi. IT worked well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info haunters....

I'm off to a pretty good start. I was able to find a 24" by 24" mirror on clearance at Target for $20 (marked down from $40) and I know they sell Gila film at Lowe's. It does however state specifically on the box that it cannot be applied to plexiglass. I contacted the company and they said there could be a chemical reaction between the two (plexiglass and film) and could cause bubbling, etc. I'm thinking just getting a good thick piece of 24" by 24" glass and having the mirror tint applied might be the best and safest way to do this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my experience and as mentioned, Gilda film sticks well on plexi. I used it on an interactive haunted tree a few years back.

However, I ended-up storing the prop in a hot Miami backyard shed. Well, when I went to retrieve the prop the following year, the Gilda film had separated from the plexi. Moral to the story, if you use Gilda on plexi, make sure it is not subjected to extreme temperature changes during the hibernation period (non-Halloween time).

Lovely Day...

·
Registered
529 Posts
In my experience and as mentioned, Gilda film sticks well on plexi. I used it on an interactive haunted tree a few years back.

However, I ended-up storing the prop in a hot Miami backyard shed. Well, when I went to retrieve the prop the following year, the Gilda film had separated from the plexi. Moral to the story, if you use Gilda on plexi, make sure it is not subjected to extreme temperature changes during the hibernation period (non-Halloween time).

Lovely Day...
You're in Miami? I'm in Broward!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Lovely Day...
Yeah the person I talked to at customer service mentioned that as part of the reason they say it won't work on plexi. I've already thought of that and have decided to build the prop so I can remove the bottom mirror and the top glass panel when it's in storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts