Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the difference between monster mud and dry lock. Which do you prefer and are they used similarly?? Or are they used for completely different looks, Im trying to understand the difference before I attempt to use either one. Thanks for any help you can send my way.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Drylock is a very thick waterproofing paint. Some of the haunters here use it to weatherproof their props to protect them and give them a concrete look. Monster Mud on the otherhand is a mixture of 1 gallon of paint to 5 gallon of joint compound. Once mixed together you pretty much plunge pieces of burplap or similar material into the mixture, saturate it and the cover a preformed figure usually made of a combination of wood, pvc, chickenwire, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
waterproofing monster mud and other props

After painting and detailing my Monster Mudded prop, like my tombstone lighted reaper guy, I seal it with Spar varnish (spray or brush-on). I even used it to coat my big Pumpkin King guy who is made of chicken wire, newspaper and latex.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I monster mud items to give bulk, stiffness and a stone look to items covered in fabric. Then, I use Drylok over that to give waterproofness and continue to stiffen and add to the stone look.

Basically:

Monster mud adds bulk to items (and it's cheap)

Drylok waterproofs them (but $20 a gallon)
You can use monster mud alone (not weather-proof). You can use Drylok alone but doesn't add much bulk (unless you do many coats).

I personally use a combination of monster mud then several Drylok coats to make a fabric-clothed item to look like carved stone and resist the elements. If I'm treating an item with no fabric, I use Drylok alone for waterproofing (works great for tombstones). It's a quick way to give a stone look plus adds the extra benefit of waterproofing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dry-loc when used by non haunters is to waterproof basement walls it's a paint with sand in it. monstermud is made from drywall compond used plaster the seams of dryall between each sheet and when dry is like "plaster" where dry-loc is the paint you may or may not put on monstermud. but dry-loc you can paint on anything you would paint and it comes in any color you want as long as the color you want is white or grey.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Woopsie...I guess my Pumpkin Guy pic didn't post. No problem, it's on my Forum home page in my 2008 pic album. Sorry again, Bill.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thanks you guys!! I knew you would be able to help me out with this question. I think I may have to attempt to use both of those this year. Thanks again for all the help:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts