Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have experience making props that smoke? Not props like a dragon that could use a regular fogger - but props like handguns or backpacks.
Basically, I was considering how to make steampunk stuff more "steamy" by adding smoke such as might come from a coal furnace - or steam from an engine.
Ideally, the solution would be battery operated so it could be portable / wearable. I would also like it to puff intermittently like a steam engine, though continuously might work sometimes too.
I have been looking at "smoke units" for model trains. These appear to use solutions similar to those used by foggers. They are powered by the track - usually at least 15 volts. Has anyone out there actually used one of these units for a prop other than a model train? Any advice on brand, sourcing, or modifications?
Anyone have a better idea maybe? I think it would be pretty cool to see steam coming from a steampunk ray gun, or to make my steampunkins actually look steam powered. I just don't know the best way to do it. If the internet has taught me anything, it's that whatever the idea, someone else has already had it and probably done something with it. I'm reaching out to my peeps first.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wizard thing may be just the ticket for backpacks and steampunkins!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
As a practicing magician, there are a few products out on the market that are self contained / activated for an added effect of "magical smoke" when things appear or disappear in your hands as discussed on a few of our magic forums.....these devices start at a few hundred dollars. I have one of the better unites i got on a great deal at $210 that could be modified to push "smoke" into a steam punk type apparatus that you are holding ( device is activated while wearing it ). The other that just came out is similar to it but the refills become much more expensive & not that much less then mine cost.......

With my version I can control how much "smoke" comes out, a little or a lot, works great for the close-up or stage effects i do. The newest one is the same size large puff of smoke.

You could always make a simple unit that makes "smoke" with baby powder, fish tank tubing & a squeeze ball (like a turkey baster),.......cheaper solution for you maybe.....

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I've thought about trying to use an e-cigarette with non-nicotine neutral fluid in it for this kind of effect, but I don't know how much smoke it would actually be able to produce.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I've thought about trying to use an e-cigarette with non-nicotine neutral fluid in it for this kind of effect, but I don't know how much smoke it would actually be able to produce.
Funny you mentioned that, the 2 "smoke" from hands effects uses that as a basis for they're gimmick & they use a quality fog fluid ( couple drops in a filter ). When air is pumped into it, it lites up the controller pretty much like an E cig & pushes heat into filter- water misted "smoke" is pushed out.......& a pretty decent amount of it !
Just look up "Pure Smoke" on youtube, several vids to give you an idea of how much smoke can be released by these.

My smoke unit is called Magic Smoke V2 from Illusioncraft, a much more compact unit & the size of a Sharpie pen vs the Pure Smoke........but for what I use it for & Halloween cost was well worth it for me. Pure Smoke unit a little more clumsy to wear and use.........& for magic use, not as quiet as Magic Smoke. Pure smoke will run you $150,+ $25 for extra cartridges + shipping & cost of batteries.......etc

An E cig I don't think would produce a very large puff of smoke.....but would be interesting to see if it could produce a decent amount of smoke with some Froggy's swamp fog in it.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone! I just saw a new post on Instructables that does produce smoke from a model train unit. It was made in Germany, but maybe I can find the hardware.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just caught up with this post and thought the link below might be of interest. Watch the demo to see exactly how much smoke is produced. If it is sufficient for your needs I can recommend this DVD to you because I have it . It takes you step by step through making one of these devices. I cannot comment on reaction since this just came out this year and I have yet to try it at my Halloween party (which features lots of "dark" magic tricks).

http://www.abbottmagic.com/SSS-DVD-and-Gimmick-by-Shin-Lim-sss.htm

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a great looking stage effect, in any case. Thanks!
Just caught up with this post and thought the link below might be of interest. Watch the demo to see exactly how much smoke is produced. If it is sufficient for your needs I can recommend this DVD to you because I have it . It takes you step by step through making one of these devices. I cannot comment on reaction since this just came out this year and I have yet to try it at my Halloween party (which features lots of "dark" magic tricks).

http://www.abbottmagic.com/SSS-DVD-and-Gimmick-by-Shin-Lim-sss.htm

·
Registered
500 Posts
An E cig I don't think would produce a very large puff of smoke.....but would be interesting to see if it could produce a decent amount of smoke with some Froggy's swamp fog in it.....
I've actually been thinking about taking a look at this recently; I saw a video of someone who extracted the smoke unit from an e-cigarette, and it looks like it will produce a fairly sizable amount of smoke just using glycerine:

New Make-and-Take, Jim? :D

Edit: Just noticed this thread is over a year old (oops) - any luck with this?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've actually been thinking about taking a look at this recently; I saw a video of someone who extracted the smoke unit from an e-cigarette, and it looks like it will produce a fairly sizable amount of smoke just using glycerine:

New Make-and-Take, Jim? :D

Edit: Just noticed this thread is over a year old (oops) - any luck with this?
I got distracted by other things, and have not completed any smoking props, but I am thinking the e-cig thing is the way to go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts