Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lil GHouliet and I are trying to get several of our props from our list of to do's finished before Halloween. We started talking about a fence and I bought some finials for it. The 1/2 in PVC is slightly larger than the opening of the finials, and I read here a heat gun would allow the connection to stretch. I would like recommendations of what to look for in a heat gun before I purchase one.

·
The Black Unicorn
1,348 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Yeah they go on sale for $10 at HF and it's been pretty good so far. Be careful with it - it's way too easy to overheat things! Not so much a fire risk at first as a "my finial is now a puddleial"

Hmm maybe there should be a thread about which HF tools are worth buying.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,793 Posts
I bought an adjustable one at Harbor Frieght. I had to do the same with my finials. The opening on the PVC was too small. It works great with other things as well.
Yeah, I've got the Harbor Freight one too. Works well. I've even used to to reshape a Bucky skull. If you watch the paper, you can regularly get a Harbor Freight coupon that will get you their gun for $8.99 I think ?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye out for a Harbor Frieght coupon in the paper, but I also had the idea of getting a wooden dowel that would fit into the PVC pipe, pre-drill some holes and using small screws screw the small screws into the finial and into the PVC pipe. That might work, at least until I get a heat gun.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,793 Posts
Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye out for a Harbor Frieght coupon in the paper, but I also had the idea of getting a wooden dowel that would fit into the PVC pipe, pre-drill some holes and using small screws screw the small screws into the finial and into the PVC pipe. That might work, at least until I get a heat gun.
I just checked my stock and I've got a couple of heat gun coupons for Harbor Freight for $8.99. If you want one, you are more than welcomed to it, juts PM me an address and I'll mail a flyer off to you. they are good until 5/23. ;)

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
If you can't get the heat gun, boiling water will also heat the PVC up enough to mold. From your post I take it you haven't built the fence yet, if that's correct you can take the 1/2 PVC and put the ends in boiling water.

It shouldn't take but a few seconds for the PVC to get soft enough to mold. Once you get to that point take it out and taper the end of the PVC. To get the tapered end use a oven mitt and a bowl of ice or ice water.

When the PVC gets soft enough take the mitt and wet it with the water or lay it on the ice. This will get it cold enough to set the PVC almost instantly. With the mitt on your hand you should be able to mold the PVC into a tapered end by just giving it a slight squeeze . The finials should go over the tapered PVC and fit snug.

Another way is to built a jig out of wood that will fit over the PVC and taper down the end. Do that by drilling out the middle of a small block of wood and taper the hole. Fit it over the soft PVC and it will set the soften PVC into that shape. Before using it dip it in the ice water. If you have a lot of PVC to do this would be better than using a cold mitt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.