Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for quite some time, and am still relatively new to the haunting community. Before I ask my question, I just want to say that I am constantly blown away by the amazing work I see posted on here. My hat's off to each and every one of you.

So, here's my question. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere before. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

Everyone knows that extruded polystyrene foam board (the pink/blue/green foam) is ideal for making many props, especially gravestones. I worked with this foam for the first time last year to make my mausoleum and cemetery columns, and absolutely love it.

Here's the issue, however. I live in a pretty warm part of the country, and the local hardware stores don't sell this foam any thicker than 3/4". This worked fine for the mausoleum and columns, because it was only used for skin, and the grout lines were the extent of the detail carved into it. But, for my gravestones, I want them to be much thicker. Ideally, 4", by doubling up on 2" foam.

I talked to one of the workers at Lowe's the other day, and he told me that it doesn't get cold enough here for them to carry anything thicker. I was given the option to special order them, but I would have to purchase them in bulk, which would run upwards of $250. A bit out of my budget. The only other option was to buy 3 or 4 sheets of the 3/4" and put them together, which would still come out to be around $80. Same thing at Home Depot.

But then, I found out that they do sell 2" thick expanded polystyrene. (The white, "beady" foam. Cheaper, but significantly softer and more fragile.)
Why they sell that, and not the other, I have no idea, but it is what it is.

So, before buying that, I went to a local craft store and got a small sheet of expanded polystyrene, and made a very very rough scale model of my next project. (Yes, the outer circle is messed up. The full size version will be much more precise. It's hard carving a 9" tall stone. :eek:)

Photo Jun 11, 2 44 53 AM.jpg

My plan is to go through the motions, gluing (already done), painting, etc, and see how it holds up.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this type of foam instead of the extruded foam, and if it holds up just as well. I'm also open to any tips anyone has to help make it stronger, or more like the extruded foam.

Thanks in advance! (Also sorry for the novel)

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,102 Posts
This will hold up well, give it 2 coats of drylok though to keep it tough. Always keep searching other sites: criagslist, construction sites dumps, etc. I live in FL and we also only have the thinner foam. But there was this lady on CL that had 2 inch blue foam for $5 an 8ft sheet. You just have to keep searching all year long.:mad:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello Anthony and welcome to the forum!! I live up in Westfield, NC, near Winston Salem, and we have the 2" extruded foam here at both Lowes and Home Depot!! I have family near Charlotte and I can have them check if they carry the 2" there. That wouldn't be too far a drive for you if you have a way to haul it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts