Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a chiller design that would include a fan to pull the cooled fog. I was thinking about a home box fan, if I ran set it up on a 12v would it run slower? Not really sure how much fan power I would need, but the idea is to run fog through a chilled radiator and then have a fan push it out the bottom of a large box.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,431 Posts
What is the voltage it is rated for? If it's AC it won't run on 12 VDC.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have one yet was going to buy a standard home plug in fan. That would be alternating, wanted to see if I could step it down maybe with a wall-wart or something. Need something quick and not to hard to do, running out of time. Wanted to hook the fan and the fogger to the same power source.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think you can put a dimmer on a fan to use it as a speed control. I would look into a fan speed control, which is rated for Motor use, can still get it at the depot, use one like you would for a ceiling fan. Dimmers are not rated for Motor use.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,431 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CPU fans just don't move enough air to really force the fog out. I saw one of similar design, but they had around a 12" industrial fan. That worked great, I am actually concerned that a box fan will blow to hard. That plus the huge amount of noise them make. I thought about one of those double fan units that they sell for windows at places like Big Lots. I have been told they really don't move much air either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts