Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I picked up a fun toy today at Home Depot for $14.99, it is a Westek Wireless Remote and plug in receiver.
westek remote.jpg

It can be found here:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d+plug+in+receiver&storeId=10051#.UD8FjsFlSSo

Packaging says it is for outdoor GFCI protected outlet.
Does anyone know if it would be ok to use indoor as well?

Probably a silly question, but I am always overly cautious with anything electrical because I don't want my house to burn down! ;)

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
It can be used outside or inside. Outdoor devices should have a GFCI built in in case they get wet, so that they automaticlly shut off without shorting out.
They're similar to the GFCI outlets that are probably in your kitchen and bathrooms.

I can see lots of potential for this item--triggering scares, for one!

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,095 Posts
It can be used outside or inside. Outdoor devices should have a GFCI built in in case they get wet, so that they automaticlly shut off without shorting out.
They're similar to the GFCI outlets that are probably in your kitchen and bathrooms.

I can see lots of potential for this item--triggering scares, for one!
^ This. It's indoor/outdoor when they say outdoor that means it has a water-proof bezel, and the wire is shielded well.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
I picked up one of those last year for my Christmas tree so I wouldn't have to crawl under it every time to turn the lights on and off. Worked great! Dang, where is it?! I wonder if I packed away with the Xmas stuff? :mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Either Home Depot or Lowes had a three pack of these, I think with the Xmas stuff which should be out before Halloween night. It's three of the receivers with one remote with three sets of on off buttons. And you could buy more than one (I have two) just make sure they have different channel letters on them so they don't conflict. Range on the one I got seemed to be 30-40 feet or so.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use one of these with my home theater system to turn my active audio monitors on and off, so I
don't have to reach behind them searching for the power switches. I just leave their power switches in the on position, and use the little remote to turn them on and off. Great inexpensive little device. Around Christmas you can find them even cheaper at Walmart.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,095 Posts
I have one of these hooked up to the shaking chandelier prop!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Brilliant!! my chandelier drives me crazy........i'll use it this year now...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use these to activate my picoboo and nerve center controllers.
I use a 12 volt walwart and hook a 12 volt relay to it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought the 3 pak from home depot a couple years ago for some outdoor props and it stilll works great. I think you should have no problems indoors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts