Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using this time at home to work on anything? Show me!

My husband allowed me to get a handheld jigsaw and DANG, how did I not have one of THESE earlier?
Jigsaw (and some saw horses) + old plywood + whatever paint or spray paint you have = magic! I'm cranking multiple things out a day!

I started with some Pokemon for my son, but it quickly turned to spooky things (Can man the drill. but can't seem to turn the pics the right way)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been working on Stolloween's werewolf scene.

How to Create a Spooky Halloween Werewolf Scene

But instead of using the trusted jigsaw, I've made the trees and fence out of cardboard. The advantage (other than the light weight) is that I can 'multi-task' and work on it literally while I'm on my work calls (video turned off of course). What's been quite time consuming, but a good distraction, is that I'm waterproofing all the cardboard using duct tape. I'm nearly there. Then I just have to apply some outdoor paint.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts

I cut out 11 new headstones for the cemetery. Now I can get rid of the cheap old foam stones and they'll all match.
Ignore the random letters - I made a "Happy Quarantine-o-ween" sign to put in the front yard on 3/31.
I saw an actual headstone with an anchor on it, so I tweaked some scraps from the stones to make one.

Now I just have to paint them! I will seal them with some latex exterior paint, a coat of DryLok and then detail them with some random spray paint / small sample paints that I've picked up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Those look great! Did you have to use exterior grade plywood or is regular plywood + exterior paint a good solution? My neighbor and fellow haunter likes these, would love to have some as a zombie hoard backdrop.

I worked on figuring out how to make severed hands and flickering candles. I plan to spend time this week producing a slew of candles (from PVC pipe) and then order enough LEDs to light them up. This is what one looks like:

Flickering candle video

I want to work on a witch but need to start with a costume, which means a trip to the Goodwill Outlet, which is just not happening right now.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This brings back very fond memories when I started haunting my yard in the 90's....Your excitement sounds exactly like me when my main tools were a jigsaw, Makita battery drill, a bunch of drywall screws, paint, plywood and 2X4s....I found an old VHS tape last week of all my old halloween stuff I forgot I had....I'm in the process of converting everything to MP4 videos so I was able to grab a few screenshots to show you that time era....The first thing I ever built was a toe pincher plywood coffin....It was before 1994 because that's where these videos pick up but I remember having just the coffin sitting on the front porch with a strobe light flickering on the monster....I was rushing to get it done for Halloween so that's all I got made that year....I loved the feeling of putting something that cool out so then I made a bunch of stuff the following years....

By 1996 I had an airbrush so I repainted all the lettering and gave everything shadowing with black paint....I added the ghost tombstone on the right and changed out the crescent window from red to yellow......

I also built a pipe organ out of plywood and cut some pipe that would billow smoke from a smoke machine inside of it....Hard to see but it's on the right....

Here's a better pic showing Frankenstein playing it.....

Also made a cutout of a scary tree....

I made a black cat and figured out you could make cool shadows by placing the cutouts in front of a backdrop and lighting directly on the objects.....

Like Engineerchic said, this week I'm also working on silicone molds and casting things....Everything you've done so far looks great....Enjoy the builds!....ZR

Anyone using this time at home to work on anything? Show me!

My husband allowed me to get a handheld jigsaw and DANG, how did I not have one of THESE earlier?
Jigsaw (and some saw horses) + old plywood + whatever paint or spray paint you have = magic! I'm cranking multiple things out a day!

I started with some Pokemon for my son, but it quickly turned to spooky things (Can man the drill. but can't seem to turn the pics the right way)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm planning on expanding my graveyard this year, so I've been working on a bunch of tombstones in various states of completion.

These 3 I just started.

These 2 have motors attached to the back that make them wobble back and forth. (Hopefully weatherproofed enough that they'll survive the rain)

The top half of this guy moves back and forth. I made him a lantern too, but don't have a picture of it at the moment.

This one is made from some scrap 2x12 I had laying around. Still needs some sprucing up.

More scrap 2x12 and some small skeletons.

Attachments

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
Those look great! Did you have to use exterior grade plywood or is regular plywood + exterior paint a good solution? My neighbor and fellow haunter likes these, would love to have some as a zombie hoard backdrop.
Thanks! Sorry it took so long to answer!
I bought plywood already cut 2 foot x 4 foot. So I do believe they're just regular plywood. For some reason, the Lowe's that I went in that day didn't have 4x8 sheets in the thickness that I wanted and I sure didn't want to pay extra for cabinet-grade fancy stuff.
I went along the edges after cutting them out and hit them with exterior "oops" paint but I saw where there are big gaps in the layers that I need to fill with some wood putty, then I'll put a second coat of exterior paint over the edges / knots / cracks. All my other stones are made the same way and they've been going strong since 2008. I check them over each fall and do touchups as needed, but they're all still looking pretty good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wood is probably the cheapest junk out there. The big piece I started with was our leftover adults-only Halloween party beer pong top! I should probably invest in taking the time to choose better wood and paint, but I also don't mind doing touch-ups each year or having to make new ones altogether.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love this one!! How are you making the legs for that skull spider?
The legs are made of: wood sticks ( kinda like larger, wider toothpicks ) , I use masking tape to attach wire to them to make them posable. Wrap the whole thing with masking tape, leave some wire sticking out of one end to stick into the foam skull. Then I started using tissues and clear glue with some red stain in it to start skinning it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts