Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, $13 alone is pretty cheap, but since it'll only do 1 channel I'd need 5 or so, and it adds up quickly. I can't imagine there being more than $5 worth of parts in it. I may get one just to reverse engineer it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, a 555 timer will do the trick... but not for that kind of power handling. You'd need to throw some kind of power transistor on the output to handle 4 Amps at 12-24 volts. For $13, not bad, given what it'll do. I might do a little digging to see if there is a schematic out there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here's a schematic for a 555 timer-controlled dimmer circuit that I found.
LED Dimmer Circuit.JPG
I have NOT tried this circuit, so I can't comment as to whether it works or not, or how well it works. It looks like it should be OK, though.
The NPN transistor will have to be adjusted, depending on how much current you want to run.
Also, it will depend on what kind(s) of LEDs you are trying to dim. I have read that some of the LED spots don't take kindly to being dimmed like this AT ALL.

·
Registered
122 Posts
LED stuff has become so cheap I don't bother with too many DIY circuit builds anymore. Amazon has this RF dimmer for $6 shipped free rated at 2x the amps and it allows you to get near the lights to see the effect while you make the adjustments with the dimmer module mounted in a safe dry location.
RFdimmer.jpg
Wireless Remote LED Light Single Color RF Dimmer Controller Control DC 12-24V 8A . There are other very cheap slide and rotary dimmers out there. Using store bought electronics frees my time up for my other labor intensive projects.
But if you have the time and just love building it yourself I understand the satisfaction involved in that. Build it and they will come.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CreepyCreations - Yeah, that's the typical 555 timer circuit. I was impressed by the slender form factor and slider of the item. I couldn't see how they fit it, even using SMD's. I tried drafting one on EAGLE but couldn't get the arrangement to fit the size of their board. After playing with it I thought I'd post the question to see if somebody else had it or figured it out. Still doesn't seem like a $13 item though...

Pumpkinhead - I saw that one but at the $16 price, not the $7. That's more like it.

Ollieee - The only problem with that item is are they the same frequency or different? Been burned by THAT game before...

Thanks for all the input guys, since LED's have come to term there are more items and more places to get those items than ever before. It used to be 'like a kid in a candy store', but now it's 'a kid with 1000 candy stores to choose from.' :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts