Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building our faux wrought iron fencing from inspiration here and thought I would share what we are doing so far.

Because our space for the graveyard is on a driveway curve, we had to change materials to create something flexible.

Making 8 sections: Materials for each: 3-4ft wide sections of PVC trim, 3 - 4ft PVC pipes (1.25) and 4 - 3.5ft. PVC pipes (1.25) per section. Everything lightly sanded so the spray paint will stay stuck.

Roof Floor Road surface Flooring Sidewalk

We are using 1-1/2 inch pipes as connectors with caps drilled for glued in finials. These finials were a pain to work with. The glue is the key for this.

Concrete Plant Finial

Finial Metal

Metal

Simple Jig
Wood Table Plywood Floor

Floor Composite material

Automotive exterior Iron Vehicle Bumper Metal

We have all the sections built. Next onto painting. Crossed fingers the install goes smoothly. I will update as we go. Countdown is on to the party!

Thank you all so much for your tutorials and inspiration!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE

We have started to install the fence and it looks great - It sways a little if the wind is blowing (kind of creepy?) But looks so real!

I still have 2 more panels I had not finished painting to install. AND I managed to knock one over and shatter the tips on some of the finials, So, that has to be repaired.... But almost done with this part!

Property Iron Fence Yard Tree

Iron Fence Property Metal Deck

Iron Fence Property Metal Home fencing

Iron Daylighting Architecture Ceiling Roof

And I am not sure which would be the most appropriate quote were you to do so to me this Halloween... One of the following:
- "We are going to need more spray paint"
- "We need to go back to Lowes, again"
- "Did you know Lemon Essential Oil totally removes spray paint from a manicure?"

Finger Hand Thumb Nail Gesture

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your curved fence looks great! excellent use of using shorter fence pieces and multiple posts to fit the curve of the driveway, What did you use to support the fence?

It is supported with garden stakes hammered into the ground. They are the green coated variety. We had a few larger/thicker ones, but found that putting 3 thinner ones together worked just as well. We slid the Anchor poles over those. We had to be fairly careful in this area of sprinklers and a sewer pipe, so it was a good option.

·
Registered
132 Posts
UPDATE

We have started to install the fence and it looks great - It sways a little if the wind is blowing (kind of creepy?) But looks so real!

I still have 2 more panels I had not finished painting to install. AND I managed to knock one over and shatter the tips on some of the finials, So, that has to be repaired.... But almost done with this part!

View attachment 263680

View attachment 263681

View attachment 263682

View attachment 263684

And I am not sure which would be the most appropriate quote were you to do so to me this Halloween... One of the following:
- "We are going to need more spray paint"
- "We need to go back to Lowes, again"
- "Did you know Lemon Essential Oil totally removes spray paint from a manicure?"

View attachment 263683
Your fence looks fantastic and I would love to build this....but most importantly I just learned what takes spay paint off a manicure :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your fence looks fantastic and I would love to build this....but most importantly I just learned what takes spay paint off a manicure :D
It really does work. Grapefruit, Orange and Lime Essential oils do too. (My nails are currently Tiffany blue color under that "Oil Rubbed Bronze" paint)

I won't mention how much spray paint was on my feet as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excellent job. Of course! Why didn't I think of using a jig for my fences. Ugh. I'll have to try this for 2016. Quick question: Are those all 4' sections for easy storage and setup? I assume they are attached to the the 'posts' by brackets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick question: Are those all 4' sections for easy storage and setup?
The PVC molding was sold in 8ft strips, however 8 foot would have be a little too fragile in my opinion and yes, 4 foot is easier to store. They stack together nicely if you set them back to back so they can nestle a little bit into one another. I hope I am describing that understandably.

I assume they are attached to the the 'posts' by brackets.
They are overlapped and screwed to the posts.

Plant

·
Registered
854 Posts
Where did you get those style finials with the studs? You have solved a problem for me with that style. Also what kind of glue did you end up using?
HM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Aleko Fence Gate Cast Iron Decor Finial" - I got them off Amazon

I think they were a bit loose in the PVC, but that is better than too tight.

I used a rubber type quick set glue, But it didn't set super fast, so I ended up babysitting each one (bleh) - I would recommend finding something better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is actually a sickness this Halloween decorating thing... We hadn't even finished and I was thinking about the next one

We are thinking about adding a few more panels next year to "enclose" it a bit more.

While we were cleaning up with the friends, I mentioned a stationary open gate and got some husband grumbles but friend approval... and then I said "arch"......

But I have a little bit of time to let that idea simmer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts