Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are PVC easy to use when building a prop? which kinds of PVC should I buy to make a prop? has anybody done a PVC prop before? I need PVC tutorial.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anybody done the scare FX witch before?

1. was it easy and cheap to build her? 2. How long did it take?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I build most of my props with pvc I like it becuase you can use a wood saw fine tooth,hack saw,most any saw to cut it.there are elbows 45 90 T X and you can heat it and bend it ,you can buy it almost anywhere and you have a choice to glue it or like I do use wood screws to hold it together or it will kinda stay together with just the fittings.And it's cheap.and almost any prop you can make with wood or alumium can be made with PVC "be realistic".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said and would add that using the thicker walled (schedule 40) is definitely the way to go. I've built things using the thinner walled 3/4" pvc and it barely stood up under its own weight- after adding a costume and padding, the figure wobbled and bent in unwanted ways... scrapped it and changed out for the thicker walled pvc and had no problems. Might want to spring for a hand held pvc cutter ($3-$5), much easier and cleaner than using a hacksaw.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I second the recommendation on the PVC cutting tool. It saved me a ton of time on my PVC characters. Harbor Freight sells the ratcheting pipe cutter for $4.

Get a bunch of 45 and 90 degree elbows and some T-fittings, and start piecing it together. You can use your own body for measurements, and scale it in either direction.

To secure your figure, pound long rebar into the ground and slide the pvc legs over it. It's very sturdy. My Davy Jones prop was built on a PVC frame with bubble wrap and pool noodles to fill it out.

$15 worth of materials can get you a lifesize frame to work with.

Good luck!

-dgm

·
Registered
76 Posts
You might also consider using schedule 80 PVC if your prop is exceptionally heavy. It's usually found in the electrical section of Home Depot and Lowes. It's more expensive, but worth it if the extra rigidity is needed.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
is it a cleaner and quicker cut then an electric chop saw. because if it is i will have to start using one.
Chop saw is also great to use especially if you have alot to cut to the same length. The cut itself is as clean, but the saw will spray pvc 'bits' all over the place. The ratcheting hand cutter leaves no 'bits', but if you're doing a hundred pcs to build a fence out of- you're better off with the chopsaw.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Chop saw is also great to use especially if you have alot to cut to the same length. The cut itself is as clean, but the saw will spray pvc 'bits' all over the place. The ratcheting hand cutter leaves no 'bits', but if you're doing a hundred pcs to build a fence out of- you're better off with the chopsaw.
i am not too worried about "bits", there is so much sawdust and styrofoam bits all over i don't think i would even notice. :) Maybe I should shop vac it up every now and then.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I see one person mentioned glue. Do you all use glue as well? I have PVC set aside for this years props, just wondering how important gluing is? Was hoping that these props would easy to pull apart for storage. Even if that means drilling holes for bolts.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you are building a smaller prop that's easy to store and you don't mind the PVC being permanently in place, then go ahead and glue the pieces.

If you have a large prop or want to be able to re-pose the prop, then do not glue. Use woodscrews or bolts.

It's really comes down to how you design the body for your prop.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I didn't glue or screw anything last year...but I'm sure if I keep taking it apart and putting it back together, then I'll glue it or screw it for sure.

The star is made from 10 ft sections of PVC. I glued endcaps on them then screwed eyebolts into the end caps and zipstripped the eyebolts together....then I duct taped where the poles overlapped. there is a 6th pole that is duct taped to the crossbar...after wrapping it in lights, I slide a rope through the 6th bar and hang it between two trees over my driveway. I use it at Christmas but this year I plan on swapping out the lights and adding an outter ring to the star to make it a pentacle

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I use it at Christmas but this year I plan on swapping out the lights and adding an outter ring to the star to make it a pentacle
Invert the star and add a ring and your local religious groups will surely love you. ;)
Just don't forget to remove the red lights and goat's head before Christmas rolls around.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, your opinions and knowledge have been of great help. Thanks! oo by the way, the PVC cutter--- is it sold at Home Depot too?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
The pvc cutters are sold at most hardware or home improvement stores. I like using pvc for props, particularly armatures and body shapes. Light-weight, easy to move, pose, disassemble if needed.

I used this model from Ghostess...

to make my skeleton guards. A hooded costume and plastic skull head is all you need.

My scarecrow is also a pvc frame draped in burlap with a foam head and pumpkin mask.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I threw these together pretty quick with PVC...by using a wide enough PVC, I could slide them over one of those green fence posts you get at Lowe's. .

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Please wear a mask and provide good ventilation when heating PVC. Those are carcinogenic fumes being released!

jdubbya, nice pics of yer PVC props.

Next question is what do you all use to stabilize your PVC props especially in weather-prone locations? When you add clothing or fabric and place a heavy skull on top, it can tip over if it gets too breezy.
jdubbya, I noticed you used what looks like a garbage bag full of sand(?) in one of your pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts