Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to time constraints last year we ended up buying an FCG from another vendor. I loved the ghost, but was not crazy about the rig so this year I decided it was time to rebuild it Spider Hill style (in PVC). I made this in a couple of hours using 2 of our Spider Joints and one of our PVC mounted wiper motor mounts. The rest was just built using basic hardware. The only piece I fabricated was the crank arm by welding some stock onto the original drive arm. :) Using the Spider Joints on the front of the rig will allow me to adjust the position of the ghost's arms and they also fold in for storage. I am also upgrading it by adding a small pulley on the line that moves the head and also adding 3 fishing swivels to the washer on the drive arm to keep the lines from twisting. I will dust it with some black paint tomorrow and hopefully he'll be hanging in the window again soon! If anyone is interested in building one of these, it's very easy and I am going to make up some quick plans here soon. ;)

Rig1.jpg
Rig2.jpg
Rig3.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Another great design, Ryan. Is this something you might be marketing through SHPW?

Reactions: Diabolik

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another great design, Ryan. Is this something you might be marketing through SHPW?
Thanks jdubbya, not sure yet? At the very least, I'll make up a solid how to and parts list for anyone that wants to build one. Outside of our 2 parts, this is all hardware store variety stuff. Even the Spider Joints are optional. They just make it convenient. A lot of people have asked me what projects our wiper motor mount would be good for and I think this is a perfect example. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really like your design and will probably use it as a guide. Can you tell me what size pvc you used. Thanks.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like your design and will probably use it as a guide. Can you tell me what size pvc you used. Thanks.
Thanks, it is just 1 inch schedule 40 PVC.

I wrote down all of the dimensions. I just need to put them onto something legible. :rolleyes: as I said, there isn't really anything special needed to build this. You could easily build you own wiper motor mount too, ours just saves you a bunch of time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if the ghost was light enough would your Mounting Base, connected to the free end of the motor tube, be strong enough to support the FCG on the side of a tree or house?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if the ghost was light enough would your Mounting Base, connected to the free end of the motor tube, be strong enough to support the FCG on the side of a tree or house?
That would be a lot of leverage hanging off of one base. Maybe if you used one base at the tail of the rig and then replaced the T fitting up front with a 4-way L fitting and made a second brace coming from there to the wall using a second mounting base, you would probably be ok. That would help support the portion of the rig that is hanging out there. :)

image.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts