Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be making a graveyard fence with PVC & cross boards this weekend. I read through a lot of thread here on how to do this.

What would be the best way to secure the PVC through the boards? I have seen people use liquids nails, spray foam, screws, and hot glue. Hot glue seems like a hassle, dealing with the cord. My husband thinks liquids nails would be best...

I ordered plastic finials for the tops. Most people seem to use a heat gun, then jam them on. Are there other ways to do this if I don't want to invest in a heat gun?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used 1 1/4 inch black drywall screws, they worked fine. Make sure you pre-drill a hole so you don't splinter the wood.

·
Registered
706 Posts
PVC Fence

Here is the route I took:

8' 1" x 2" furing strips - 3 for each fence section.
1/2" electrical PVC - cut to 4' lengths.
Drilled 7/8" hole in furing strips every 5 3/8" - this will leave a gap of 4" between each PVC pipe.
Pre-drilled hole through furing strip and PVC at each connect point and secured with 1 1/4" drywall screws.
Used low end heat gun ($22.00 at Home Depot) to heat PVC at top and pushed on Finials (does not take much heat and finials go on easy). Tried to scure with Liquid Nails, but did not seem to be sticking very well so I pre-drilled a hole through the finial and PVC and scured with 1 1/4" drywall screw.
For the round accent, I used 4" ABS pipe cut in 7/8" slices (this was a major pain. Did it on a band saw and struggled with getting the cuts straight. Cleaned up each slice on a sanding wheel to get them all straight, but again, major pain). Still not sure how I am going to attach these.
The attached picture belongs to another member by the name of Jaege, but this is how mine turned out. Props to Jaege as it is his design.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Happy Halloween!

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Screws like MadDog said. I use 1/2" priercing screws myself, but you get the idea. Only need to dig into one side of the PVC. Using screws makes repairs easier if ever needed.

For attaching plastic finials I just used a hot melt gun to hold the finial mounting post to the 1/2" PVC (they slide together well). Quick, easy, cheap, and repairable.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
I used drywall screws and predrilled the holes like MadDog said. Quick and easy and easy to repair. The drywall screws also offer a little flex to make the fence conform to my uneven yard!

·
Registered
84 Posts
you can use a propane blowtorch to soften up the pvc if you have one...however heatguns are pretty cheap. $13 for a 1500w dual temp at Harbor freight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts