Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It's Aug which means it is time to begin some new stuff. I went to HD today and picked up a drill press, 1 1/8 drill bits, 4 1x2's, 4 1/2PVC pipe. This will probably net me 16 feet and I will do this once a week until I reach my distance. Seems really easy but where do you find skull tops during the "off" season? Can you buy these online or party city this time of year? I'm thinking of adding LED eyes to the skulls as one member did here.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Dollar Tree has a bag of small skulls again this year. I don't know if they're large enough to put LEDs in however, but I have seen people drill the bottom out and put them on their fencing as finials. Here's a pic of the bag of skulls from their store. Not the best of pictures.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Off to the DT in the next couple days. Where are these located in the store? I don't want to look like a fool asking someone. Thanks for the pics.

hehe. Yes, miss, I'm looking for your bag of skulls please? and is there a quantity limit??....am I a...cannibal?...did you say food aisle.... No. I'm a halloween haunter...oh over there....Thank you....:D

Can't beat the price BTW. and you'll probably find lots of other things while you're there (other halloween and stuff like LED clip on lights for lighting your tombstones...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
You may want to try a search on skull whistles. These are pretty cheap and the they fit the top of the 1/2" PVC almost perfectly. I made my fence two years ago using 1/2" pvc and the skull whistles and it worked out great. Some of the plans I've seen also used 1x2 lumber on the fence. I found 1x2 pvc pieces at HD. The advantage there is you can use regular PVC cement to tie the pieces together.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It seems like no can find the skull whistles. I have emailed the original supplier, but he can no longer get them. I had to also go to Dollar Tree and purchase the bag of skull for my fence.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found mine on Ebay when I bought them. I bought a gross (144) of them and ended up using about 50. A lot of the remainder were given out with the candy. I still have about 20 of them left for backup in case I need them. Perhaps some of the dollar type store may get them again around Halloween.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went to DT today and nothing. They did have some halloween stuff. I saw some clear footprints that looked pretty close to those LED plexi ones people are trying to make on here. 2 feet per package but only clear red. Could look cool with LED's and that controller that fades them in/out so it looks like someone is walking toward you.

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
I used a heat gun to heat the PVC for a few seconds and the finials slide right on. 90% of them stay on with no additional screws on glue! I was going to go with the skull finials at one time but I like the look of this much better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PVC fence and finials

I was going to go the skull routine, too. I even got the skull whistles. But one I had them in hand, I knew that they were much too flimsy for year after year use in a yard haunt. I ended up going with plastic finials from decorativeiron.com, they were 100 for $29. I did have to drill them out to fit on my 1/2" PVC, but they are now a permanent fixture in the graveyard. I have attached a photo of them, right now my fence is in storage in the backyard.

Mad Doctor Scott

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I used 3/4 PVC pipe and thought the 1 inch finials would work. Turns out they were slip in instead of slip over. So I had to buy 120 3/4 coupling units from Lowes. Then heat each one up until the PVC would bend then slid them inside the coupling unit. Turned out very good. I'll post some pics when I'm done spraying it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
great resource but sizes may be off

Why not use the finials from Kings Architectural Metals. They are pretty cheap and look great! It's very easy to add these to 1/2" PVC fencing. You want the 3/4" finial to go over the PVC. There is a tab on the left side of the page for Finials....after that go to plastic finials.

King Architectural Metals wrought iron metal balusters finials casting steel ornamental forged gate fence stairs Access control
Thanks for the great resource. I contacted King Architectural metals and had them send me some free samples. When I tried the 3/4 finial, it did not fit the 1/2 pvc unless I shaped the pvc to fit. I did find the 5/8 finial was a perfect fit for the 1/2 cpvc without any modifcation at all. It was a little more money than the pvc but saved me a huge amount of time! Thanks to your idea, I now have a hundred feet of prop fencing in my yard and even designed a cool gateway and arch!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts