Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of searching on the boards and didn't find anything specifically to help, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

I want to make a cemetery fence for my graveyard (this will be my first year making one), and I know that PVC pipes seem to be the way to go (and I love the look) but is there a cheaper option to this that I am missing? I have about 90 ft of yard to enclose and at my local Lowes 1 10' PVC pipe is 1.65, so for one 4' section it would be around 3.50 so thats about $75-$80 just for the PVC. So with getting the wood, paint, etc it seems like this would cost me $150-$200 which just isn't in my budget.

I've seen people make wooden fences with old pallets but I have no power tools or saws to use in making these.

Just wondering if there is a cheaper way to make a cool fence. My husband's idea is to buy wooden stakes and string purple lights from them to create the illusion of the fence and if nothing else is cheaper we might be stuck with that :p

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
You are right, after all is said and done, the pvc and wood version is around that price range for your size yard

The only cheaper option is getting free pallets and disassemble but you still need power tools.

I just don't think there is a cheaper option for your size of project

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Wait, I forgot, there is a cheaper alternative. I just finished my own pvc and wood fence but last year I had sections of faux big chains strung together, I used some foam round columns I made from foam mouldings I found on CL, here is a pic
IMAG0260.jpg

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have used pallets but I did not disassemble them with any power tools. I just used a hammer and a crowbar. It took alittle longer but it worked out just fine for me. I have also used lath and 2x2 's

·
Registered
330 Posts
One other thing to think about is you don't have to do it all at once. I have been adding to my fencing in the front over the last 3 years mostly because I get sick of working on it after a while. The point is you can do it over time, my fence last year stopped in the middle of the yard, but the way I set up the scenes that was OK it looked right. This year I should have enough to reach almost all the way across the front of the yard and then I am done with fencing. :D

If you think a certain design is better and that is what you want you will not be happy if you go to something else just for cost. If you are not set on a specific design then yes you can go cheaper routes like mentioned above with fake chains or even just simple rope.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Scub beat me to my comment...
I ended up using Electrical Non-Metallic tubing (ENT) from the hardware store.
It does end up coming in a little bit cheaper.
As far as the ends that flange to couple the tubing together, I used them, and made 3 of the spindles on each 8' section of fence 6" longer than the others. I then drove poles into the ground, and I was able to slip the longer spindles right over the top, and this supported the fence quite nicely....until TS Sandy blew through here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
for a cheap fence just to keep perople out my first year on a very tight budget i took fence posts cut down to a smaller height, screw then to some stakes to hammer into the ground. put some cheap hooks on the back. and string some black plastic chain between the hooks...
they can be seen behind the cemetery sign in this pic...
89lt1-albums-decorations-picture166501-2011-yard-2.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
One recommendation: If you use 10' PVC for fence balusters, don't make them 4'. Make them 1/3 of 10', which is 40", and then there's no waste (except for the last odd baluster, which can be a spare). And if you leave an inch of air between the bottom of the baluster and the ground and add the finial on top, they're nearly 4'. Hope this helps!

fence crop.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
I too needed right at 90 feet for my yard. It's a great look when done. Two tips:

Buy a PVC cutter like this. These save so much arm wear vs. hack sawing your pipes. These things are made for cutting PVC and you just clamp it, rotate it and it's cut. Move on to the next one. Seriously.

Secondly, just buy the cheap $0.99 black spray paint and spray away. No need to get the $2.99 per can Rustoleum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:/ I thought I had replied to this and apparently my email decided to not tell me when more posts were made. Sorry to seem like I asked and didnt come back for an answer!

For some reason the conduit pipe at my Lowes is MORE than the pvc pipe? I think thats odd. What I ended up doing was buying a bunch of wooden stakes and cutting and painting them and it cost me about half of the price of the PVC fence and maybe doesnt look as sophisticated but I like it

IMG_2156.JPG

bad pic I know but I'm not close to being done and just wanted a pic of the fence. I was going off the idea of the posts with chains linked between but just did wood instead of chain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts