Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have my first of about 40 pvc candles completed. Created them from white PVC cut to various lengths, cut a circle of pink scrap styro that was hallowed slightly and then glued into the pvc. Then using white glue sticks and my variable temp glue gun, I melted glue onto the edge of the top of the PVC tube and allowed the glue to run naturally. Allowing the layer to cool and set-up, I then returned to do the same thing again and again until I was happy with the effect. Finally I added the Dollar Tree LED tealights (2 for a dollar). Here are some pics:

Unlite.....

Lite....

Another view...

Here you see the Dollar Tree LED tealights....

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. Does Dollar Tree have the tealights out now? I'm thinking of doing a couple of candles soon.
Got them a couple of weeks ago. They were hanging on an end of an aisle here, almost missed them.

Meeps....you know I'm always busy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Loving the candles JA. Excellent Effect! I might give this a go if I can find somewhere tht does the flickering candles.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Got them a couple of weeks ago. They were hanging on an end of an aisle here, almost missed them!
Well, now I have to go back to Dollar Tree again and see if I can find those tea lights.

Actually, I was thinking of using C7 sockets with the flicker bulbs, but then I would have to deal with all the wiring and find a place to plug them in, hide the cord, etc. These tea light flickers might just be the way to go!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, now I have to go back to Dollar Tree again and see if I can find those tea lights.

Actually, I was thinking of using C7 sockets with the flicker bulbs, but then I would have to deal with all the wiring and find a place to plug them in, hide the cord, etc. These tea light flickers might just be the way to go!!
Nice work. But recall that the batteries go kinda fast and they can be costly (the large, flat ones).

Just a though (I am using electric).

-Doc

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loving the candles JA. Excellent Effect! I might give this a go if I can find somewhere tht does the flickering candles.
Dazzer, these have a flicker effect and is one of three types carried by our local Dollar Tree.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice work. But recall that the batteries go kinda fast and they can be costly (the large, flat ones).

Just a though (I am using electric).

-Doc
Not so expensive and I'm not sure how long they will last....we shall see. I do have socket set-ups ready to go as a back-up, but am trying to limit cord runs to or around he tombstones.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I noticed in the first pic that the color of the candle base seemed just slightly different than the color of the wax. In the pics where its lit up, you don't see notice the difference. Is that just the effect of the camera? or possibly the effect of the glowing tealight?

MsM

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed in the first pic that the color of the candle base seemed just slightly different than the color of the wax. In the pics where its lit up, you don't see notice the difference. Is that just the effect of the camera? or possibly the effect of the glowing tealight?

MsM
Your eyesight is still strong as ever Meeps! The candles are painted with a spray paint for plastic which is a slightly off shade of white, where the glue sticks are a brighter white. Once they are lite, the effect is less noticeable, I believe like you stated, it may be due to the flicker tea light.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Very cool JA! Some inspiration for me, as I need to build some too. I think I am with Doc on using the flicker bulbs, though. May save the pain of changing batteries out at the most inconvenient time.

I like the drippy wax look, hoping to replicate that for mine. Thanks for posting!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Nice! And what, only like 24 more to go? lol
I was thinking about you yesterday. I found some led candles at a store here in two different sizes. The led flicker tea light was already buried inside it. I thought, hmmm for an euro...why not. I'd just have to add the melted wax on the outside. Once home, I took them out of the packaging and was assaulted with the most obnoxious vanilla scent I have ever smelled! The flicker tea lights are buried in actual candle though! I think I'm going to dig it open and see how they did that.

MsM

1 - 20 of 92 Posts