Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've completed our Part 1 and Part 2 of our PVC Candle Videos. This one hour project has been speeded up to 20 minutes of step-by-step on how to create our detailed hot-glue candles. Check it out here.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Very nice Lynn, another method of a PVC candle build, like it and now I have a couple of ideas on mixing in various types. Question: How long do the flicker tea lights last before requiring a new battery?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice Lynn, another method of a PVC candle build, like it and now I have a couple of ideas on mixing in various types. Question: How long do the flicker tea lights last before requiring a new battery?
It depends on where you buy them. Dollarstore tealights can stop working on a whim. Sometimes they are good.Most of the time the battery cover breaks and won't keep good contact. One's we've bought at Wallmart and were used last Halloween, still work for this Halloween. I'm going to guess there are at least 20 hours of light time in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have seen other projects like this one using strung-together Christmas lights with flicker bulbs. I really love the overall effect and plan to use it this year!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love this. So much that I made two 'candles' today at work. Super easy. I changed a few things around and will share what I found tomorrow after I take some pictures. These turned out awesome.

Great idea and tutorial LynnM!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I can't figure out how to tag a file to here. Keep getting invalid URL. The pictures are in photobucket, under KY_haunter if you want to see.

I'll run down the cost:
Poly Panels (styrofoam): $6.47 (enough to make about 100 candles . . .egads). Any styrofoam would work though.

Glue sticks: $4.93 (the 10 inch long full size ones) Get these you get more glue for the same amount as the smaller sticks, and you don't have to insert longer sticks nearly as often as you do the smaller ones. Found at Wal-Mart. Have enough left over to do about 15 more candles from one pack.

Spray Paint (Krylon): $2.97 Color ivory. Looks awesome, just like old style candles. Don't get the cheapy $.99 cent spray paint, looks cruddy.

Hot glue gun: $5.67 at Wal-Mart. I had two of these, one that gets very hot and one medium. The one I priced above has two settings medium and hot. I highly recommending getting a medium and hot gun.

Tea lights: $1.00 for 2 at dollar tree.

Large plastic gatorade bottle: $1.00 from dollar tree, gatorade included which was a bonus :D

2 inch round PVC pipe 10 feet long: $3.47. Enough to make many many candles.

This is a very very cheap project. As you can see I can make each one of these for very cheap. Breaking it down, each candle will run you about $1.10 each. That is including the tea light which is $.50 of that. So pretty darn cheap.

The main thing I did different after the first one was start my gluing from the bottom and went to the top. I think it made a world of difference.

I started by spray painting all the PVC to get a base coat. After I had all the glue in place I went back and spray painted it again.

Also, a little pointer. When doing the top rim of the PVC you can make super realistic wax drippings by running slowly along the rim of the PVC and stopping at intervals to let the glue run down the side of the PVC. Then you can add another layer once that dries for a super effect.

Caution: Use the medium glue gun for working the inside of the PVC where the styrofoam is. That way you don't melt the styrofoam. Use the hot glue gun for the rest as it works much much better and it goes way faster.

Total time per candle: about 20 minutes.

If I can figure out how to get the URL working, i'll post the pics. Not sure but it might be the file size. Don't think I can get them down that far with a 10 megapixel camera and no editing software :(

This is a super fun project and I want to say thank you a ton LynnM for posting this. I recommend it for everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stumbled across this, it's awesome- thanks! They looked so great that I had to give it a try, and now I'm hooked!!!
I plan to make quite a few of these, and hope to improve as I go, but it is very fun & addictive.(I have about 6 major props to make for this year, but can't put down the glue gun!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great looking candles. Someone asked about battery life. I found some GE brand candles after Christmas at a local Shopko that run for eight hours then off for 16. I've been testing them in a couple lanterns and they are still bright each night after more than a month! I plan on using them for some props where I don't have electricity available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts