Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you drill a hole through the great stuff for the wiring? If so, how?
Yes, after cutting the bulbous tops off with a knife I used a 5/8" spade bit to drill through the great stuff.

I don't feel mine came out as good as yours, Terra, however, because you obviously took time to make the silicone layer so nice and smoothly integrated with the hot melt glue drips. Having done a batch now I think I could get closer to your quality next time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very, very cool. I was hoping you could answer some no0B questions for me, as I'm jonesing to give these a whirl for next year.

Is this setup safe for outdoors usage?

Will any c7 bulb work in those sockets, and are c7 bulbs safe for outdoors? (like I said, noob that doesn't want to burn the yard down...just yet)

Is this link pointing to the male plug used at the end of the line?
Welcome to Action Lighting - Your One Stop Lighting Shop! I ask b/c I guess I'm used to seeing them a bit larger with the fuses built in them. Is that a concern with such a few amount of lights?

If one light bulb goes out, will the others on the string?

Is the install of the socket pretty easy? Do you just line the two parts up straddling the wire and smash them together?

Again, great work, and thank you in advance for any notes you can share!

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
After a couple requests for part info, I thought I should just post it:

You can buy SPT-1 wire on rolls at most home improvement stores. It's the 7amp lamp wire.

The bulbs, sockets and plugs are available here:
C7 Flicker Bulbs 2 pack
Action Lighting - C7 Sockets
Action Lighting - Vampire Plugs

Cheers!
As an alternative for folks that might be a little squeemish with wiring their own (though these are real simple to do).

A trick I've taken to is watching all these Christmas decorations. Specifically the fake candles. Most use C7 sockets, and you can get the fake candles at Christmas for $1....

So you wait for the day after Christmas and get em for $.50 or less. I typically am able to buy up dozens of "candles" for $.25 each a week or so after Christmas at the Targets, WalMarts, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Just bust em up for the sockets and string a few together.

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
I'll answer what I can.

Very, very cool. I was hoping you could answer some no0B questions for me, as I'm jonesing to give these a whirl for next year.

Is this setup safe for outdoors usage?
Should be, provided you water-tight seal all the connections. I believe that's in Terra's tutorial.

Will any c7 bulb work in those sockets, and are c7 bulbs safe for outdoors? (like I said, noob that doesn't want to burn the yard down...just yet)
Yes and yes, they make C7 Christmas light strings. ;)

Is this link pointing to the male plug used at the end of the line?
Welcome to Action Lighting - Your One Stop Lighting Shop! I ask b/c I guess I'm used to seeing them a bit larger with the fuses built in them. Is that a concern with such a few amount of lights?
Yes, that's the plug, and it would depend just how many lights you're putting on the string. I don't really feel like doing the maths at the moment to come up with the # it might become problematic at the moment, but initial impressions looking at it is it shouldn't be an issue with any reasonable number.

If one light bulb goes out, will the others on the string?
No

Is the install of the socket pretty easy? Do you just line the two parts up straddling the wire and smash them together?
I haven't used that particular model before, but if it's anything like the ones I have used, it's just bare wire in each side and mash em together, yes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
@ UOO

Rock-on! Thank you kindly for the answers! I think b/n this thread and Terra's additions to the other one, I'm armed with enough information to try some of these do-hickys for next year's setup.

Very excited. Now I just need to track down a spool of the lamp wire.

Thanks folks!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
A thought instead of drill a hole though the GS how about putting a tube in wide enough for the wire to go though and then center and tape it and then put your GS in that way no drilling and if you put some maybe PAM on the tube you could pull the tube out and reuse.Don't use petroleum based grease on it I think it would eat the foam.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts