Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking to create a PVC armature that's animated. I know there's a website that makes them, but $150 for just the frame is pretty steep. I know a friend of mine suggested a company called Witch Doctor, but I simply cannot find the website anywhere. She said she got PVC armatures that were Animated. I'm looking for a simple back and fourth motion. Or if anybody has any ideas on how to make one, I'd appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Check out Spider Hill Prop Works. Member Diabolik is the owner and is an expert on pvc armatures and movement. He also sells components and motors designed to do what you're looking for. www.spiderhillpropworks.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
There are a number of ways that you can create a simple back and forth motion in a prop. It depends on what you want moving back and forth. If you just want a creature in a costume with a head moving back and forth you can do that with something as simple as a mask over the top of an old oscillating stand fan with the fan removed.

The best thing we found for helping us make choices as to what animated props we were going to make was cruising YouTube after typing in Homemade Animated Halloween Props. Right at the top is a fun link that should get you started. https://youtu.be/mDxZNeLr8nI?t=9 is a bunch of simple options using reindeer and wiper motors for a bunch of animated options. From there, they branch out to the more complicated leering skeletons, rolling graves, cauldron creeps and all manner of mayhem that can trick out your haunt just the way you want it.

The one thing I will say from our experience is that none of the props you'll make will be as easy as they make it seem in the videos. The folks making them usually start from their finished working prop and work their way back. That avoids most of the slips and errors that happen to novices. When we created our cauldron creep, we had so many problems and restarts, that there were times we questioned whether we even wanted to continue. But we kept at it and in the end, we made a cauldron creep that we love and that looks great in our graveyard.

So, watch lots of videos, branch out once you find what you'd like to work on by reading up on the prop online, and be prepared for things to go wrong as often as they go right, and you'll have a blast creating animated props.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts