Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been lurking on the boards on and off since I found them last year. I tried a few small projects last year inspired by some of the stuff I saw here, but this year I took the plunge into building something more involved. So this is what I have with my Spider so far.

I bought 3/4" electrical PVC conduit from a guy I know at an electrical supply (got a better price than I could have at Depot or Lowes). The only drawback to the electrical conduit vs. the plumbing is that the electrical comes with a built in coupling which wasn't useful for what I was planning to do. I cut 12" off the coupling end to bring the sticks down to 9' lengths and used the scrap for the leg base.

DSC_0519.jpg
DSC_0521.jpg

I used 45 degree connectors on the ends and used U-bolts to attach to the wood (all ideas I found here, thanks everyone!)

I decided on 4', 3' and 2' lengths for the leg segments. Instead of cutting the pipe and using more fittings, I used a PVC blanket to bend the pipe.
DSC_0518-2.jpg
I used some scrap wood as a rough template for my first leg, then just worked off of that for the others. I didn't get to working on the body today, but did get the legs done. Here are some pictures of it standing in the yard. Which I was very happy to see it do. I had visions of it continually collapsing when I tried to set it up.
DSC_0523-2.jpg DSC_0524-2.jpg DSC_0525-2.jpg

I'm hoping to get some work done on the body tomorrow, if so, I'll post some updates!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is very nice looking so far. Great job! I like how the legs are one piece. What is a pvc blanket and are they expensive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I like the one piece look too. Wasn't sure if it would make a noticeable difference in look when I started, but I'm happy with it so far!

It's a PVC heating blanket. It wraps around the pipe, you plug it in and it heats up the pipe. Once a it's warm enough it bends real easily. After a few seconds of cooling the PVC hardens back up in whatever position you set it to. I borrowed mine from work (I work for an electrician) so I had to look them up. The one I was using is made by Greenlee and it goes for $180 on Amazon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this long weekend got filled up with a lot of stuff that wasn't working on the spider. I did manage to get the body pieces made. I used some 16 gauge picture hanging wire I had to make the frames which I then wrapped with chicken wire. I the wired the two pieces together so I could mount them as one on the leg base. While attempting to mount the body I cut the hell out of my hands and arms (and I even had gloves on!) and stripped one of the u-bolts. I decided it was time to walk away from the project for the day instead of getting too aggravated with it. Hopefully I'll have more time after work this week to get some stuff done. Here are some photos of the body pieces because everyone loves photos! Or maybe its just me :)
DSC_0540.jpg
DSC_0542.jpg DSC_0543.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So it’s been quite some time since I first posted this build. Life and kids got in the way of finishing it. I did finally finish it though! Last year was the first year I had it up, this year I added so LED lights for eyes. Figured I would finally share the end results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts