Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frickin' Nor-easter coming in with 2" of rain and 60mph gusts. So every prop that looks or acts like a sail had to come down tonight. Lots can lay quietly in the lawn, but I tied the stack of tombstones to the maple clump and dragged a couple props into the garage that don't lay down easily. Tomorrow night it should be safe to put it all out again. Sheesh! Stupid weather ...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So sorry to hear this. It's sux having to set things up, take it down and set it up again. I had to do that the first year I made my witches. We ended up with high winds and rain several times between the day I first set them up and Halloween. I had to bring in the witches several times and one time I just brought in their heads. That made them look even more creepy but incomplete. The folks who went by and saw them like that didn't quite know what to think.

I hope that your weather improves.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I start putting up my halloween end of september ( no worries here about vandalism out in the sticks nor rain in CA!) a couple years ago we had high winds the day before our halloween party! We had made a facade out of wood of a swamp shack ..it blew over! and the foam skulls from the tops of my tiki torches blew out into the pasture, HD horse blew over everything was a big mess! I can't imagine having to haul it all in and out like many here do!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I feel your pain! I can deal with wind but rain is a killer. The last two years has been miserable for me in North Texas. After last year I'm pretty much putting stuff out in enclosures with plexiglass fronts. :( Last year it quit raining in time for visitors but killed me the week before while trying to set up. At least its good to know my regulars would still show up with rain suits and umbrellas during a Hurricane.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m in Long Island and we’re getting hit hard. I can barely sleep, it’s 12:35AM and I had to take almost everything down earlier. My brand new cemetery columns ruined, tombstones broken in half before they could be rescued, and who knows what else is broken in the pitch black of night. I feel heartbroken.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I’m in Long Island and we’re getting hit hard. I can barely sleep, it’s 12:35AM and I had to take almost everything down earlier. My brand new cemetery columns ruined, tombstones broken in half before they could be rescued, and who knows what else is broken in the pitch black of night. I feel heartbroken.
Oh no, this was heartbreaking just reading this. I'm so sorry that your stuff sustained damage. I hope that most of it can be repaired quickly and easily. I hope your weather and spirits improve as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no! That is awful, I am so sorry. I have read that broken tombstones can be repaired and look sometimes better afterwards because the repaired area adds to the aged look. But columns ... that is a heartbreak.

The wind woke me at 2:30 just howling and gusting here. Nothing big landed on my tombstones that I tied to the tree, hopefully they are okay. Just one prop fell over, a pair of skeletons that were carrying a coffin. I had hoped they would stand since I removed the coffin but no, they went over. Lesson learned .... everything secured with rebar made it :unsure:

I am most surprised that my PVC zombies and Mike Myers did not blow over. I thought about taking them down but just couldn't do it. Miraculously they are standing. I'm waiting til after work today to redeploy all the props I removed. It is still blowing hard here. I hope we have calm weather the next 2 weeks!

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
We've been getting some bad winds in recent years. I've upgraded most of my tombstones and plan on getting around to doing the rest at some point. I used to have to run out every single time we had wind and pull them up before they ended up in the neighbor's yards. We did have one fly away only one year for the neighbor to return it later that day. I haven't had any fly aways with the upgraded tombstones to be thicker with PVC inside to go over rebar. I also tend to anchor everything down and extra if I know wind is coming. I made simple twine straps for my airblowns to hold them down and they just don't go up those days. It sucks, but it's what we have to deal with. I'll take some wind and rain as long as it's not a hurricane again.
We've had some extreme high winds since yesterday's storm and I haven't looked to see if my sign has taken any damage yet. (It's basically a giant foam tombstone.) I got the okay to start the yard on Tuesday, but I had to work so I only got as far as putting up the fence and sign. Depending on today's weather, I may put out a few more things that are wind resistant. I have Friday off so depending on how things are, I may just wait the extra day. I have some projects to work on inside anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
October weather the past few years has sucked with the rain and winds. I camp the first 2 weekends in Oct and have a big haunt there, so always fighting with weather. Our friends brand new car port she just got blew over and good thing was heading to the bathroom in the rain so I could help them fix it as I can't camp next to them as we are both space hogs with setups and me with a 33ft camper also doesn't help. She had everything screwed up made me go look at mine to make sure but I wasn't facing my partially open end into the wind like most of hers was. To much expensive stuff in there to get ruined. My car port was my best investment to use for alot of teh halloween decorations, had a party tent and pop ups but they just collapse. Now only things that don't matter or can get wet go outside like skellies or if I really don;t care if the electronics work or not.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey you guys up north - keep an eye out for my flags. 3' x 5' solid burgandy attached to 1" black metal poles. Last seen attached to my house last night before the tornadoes hit the DFW area. Didn't touch the hat or flowers on the statue but sure snapped those metal flag pole brackets in two. I went up and down the block. The flags are gone.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hey you guys up north - keep an eye out for my flags. 3' x 5' solid burgandy attached to 1" black metal poles. Last seen attached to my house last night before the tornadoes hit the DFW area. Didn't touch the hat or flowers on the statue but sure snapped those metal flag pole brackets in two. I went up and down the block. The flags are gone.

View attachment 724366
View attachment 724367
So happy that it was just your flags and flag pole that blew away and not your entire house. Flags and flag poles are much easier to replace.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I feel your pain. I got hit by the same storm. I design my stuff to stand up to wind but this storm was too much in Southeast Pa. I took off work early and spend 5 hours repairing and resetting things up last Friday including a couple of witches whose pvc necks snapped. It would not have been so bad time wise but I had a party last Friday night and wanted the display intact for the party.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
An un-expected storm just came blowing in tonight. I had to bring in a couple of witches to prevent damage. Already had one of them snap in half this past Sunday. The "T" fitting at her waistline snapped causing her upper half to tumble to the ground. Thankfully it was an easy fix, but I did not want to risk her or the other witches from being damaged again.

I absolutely hate the wind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts