Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some feedback and general opinions on a new piece that I am working on. I have a tombstone design that I concepted and sculpted out of clay. Ultimately, the clay sculpt will be molded and cast out of polyurethane foam. Then painted.

The premise behind the design is as follows: the tombstone is that of a child who has not completely passed into the after-life. Therefore, his silhouette is hovering over the grave and his face emerges from the stone as if to be trapped behind the rock.

I chose the words "REST NOT IN PEACE" because I thought that it was a nice play off the traditional R.I.P. but also helped to tie together the theme.

Someone suggested to me that this wording may not be gramatically correct and therefore not the best choice for the piece.

I would like to know what you think? After seeing the photos (below) and knowing my concept, do you have any suggestions as to other phrases that I can engrave into the stone?

P.S. The final piece will also have a phrase shown near the bottom, under the face. This will say "Release Me" or something similar and will be painted on instead of engraved.

I appreciate your help!!

Attachments

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I think the wording sounds grammatically correct to me. I love the face coming out of the stone, looks like something from Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

I do agree with Terra about the hood. Kind of looks like the Gorton's Fisherman.

Great work!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the grammar is a concern, then you could do a traditional RIP with the NOT scrawled/painted in as if someone added it after the fact in regards to the haunting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"The premise behind the design is as follows: the tombstone is that of a child who has not completely passed into the after-life. Therefore, his silhouette is hovering over the grave and his face emerges from the stone as if to be trapped behind the rock."

I am a friend of crypiccreator and we would be interested in suggestions about what you guys would write on this rock to convey the meaning we intend.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I'd suggest that it depends on the time range that you are going for in the graveyard. Bear in mind that what is considered grammatically correct today, has no forbearance on Old English. Inasmuch, the wording is properly executed with respect to English of the 1800's or earlier. Besides which, schooling wasn't as widespread prior to the 19th century in any case. Not to mention: I have seen many a real headstone that does in fact have spelling (and grammatical) errors. I believe a few intentional faux pas would actually add to the more organic feel of a graveyard imo. I'd tell the grammar nazi exactly the same, were I you. :D

I do have to agree with the suggestion that he looks like Gorton's fisherman mascot :D But that really doesn't take anything away from what is a beautiful stone :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I'd suggest a skeletal face under that hood, it would look more reaper-like that way. As it is now it's too vague.

Also, I may not be seeing it even in the head-on shot, but it looks like the right hand of that "fisherman" has only 4 fingers while the left has 5. If you go with a skeletal face you should also do skeletal hands. Currently the hands look a tad too cartoony.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
So the part where it normally says "I pray the Lord" is missing - like it was scratched away or hammered away. So, it's as if the child was cursed.
Wow, you're really getting into this whole graffiti the tombstones thing aren't you? ;)
You could take different lines and versions of that poem, deface strategic portions, and make a really disturbing series of tombstones.

Thank you Lord for another day,
The chance to learn, the chance to play.
Now as I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Please, guard me, Jesus, through the night,
And keep me safe till morning's light.
But should I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
And should I live for other days,
I pray that God will guide my ways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I thought my concept was already pretty dark. Terra just took it to another level! Good work. It may be a little too cryptic for this but you definitely GET the concept. Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Love the tombstone itself. I do agree with whomever it was that said the hood looked a bit too fisherman. It reminded me of "I know what you did last summer"

But the concept itself is awesome!! Looking forward to seeing progress pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts