Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I only do a yard haunt one night a year (need to move out of the buckle of the Bible Belt), I'm wondering if I need to purchase additional liability insurance in addition to a standard Homeowner's Policy for a yard haunt. Or purchase insurance for a Haunted Garage (something I'd love to do in the future).

Do any of you purchase additional insurance to cover you for any ToT accidents or claims? Would an Umbrella Policy atop a traditional Homeowner's Policy work? Have any of you purchased one just in case?

My front yard is pretty large, I'm on a corner lot, and there's a deepish sloping swale around the front corner of the yard butting right up against the street. I always worry some ToT is going to look at cool stuff on the lawn--especially if I build-out and expand--and not enter through the driveway, then fall, etc. Maybe overthinking it. But I'd rather err on the side of caution and safety.

Are there certain things you do as safety precautions in your yard haunt and/or haunted garage? I've been wanting to build a fence around my cemetary so no one can walk directly up to it and trip on cords, etc.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
You might want to check with your home insurance provider for specifics, but visitors should be covered as they would at any other time (as long as you aren't charging admission). Your insurer should be able to give you a better idea for your circumstances. Good luck, & look forward to seeing your haunt!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to check with your home insurance provider for specifics, but visitors should be covered as they would at any other time (as long as you aren't charging admission). Your insurer should be able to give you a better idea for your circumstances. Good luck, & look forward to seeing your haunt!
Thanks Ween. I'm a rank amateur yard haunter--nothing really special to see. Mostly thinking about the future if I get a chance to expand--either locally or if I move. Nope, no admission charged. I've got a very simple set-up. Would be more likely to get involved with a local charity haunted house than build up too much where I live now. Too many fundamentalist / evangelical Christians around here who don't "do" Halloween. I feel really bad for the kids whose parents cart them away before dark to churches before trick or treating begins. Trick or treating was such a huge highlight of my own childhood.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That is just crazy. I always say "cover your butt", you never know when the parent will try to get some money ot of you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In my city Fraud is so rampant that we are practically ground zero for insurance fraud in the US. I know I have seen some frivolous law suits here in South Florida as I work as a Major Case Fraud Investigator for a private insurance firm . I don't do a yard haunt but more like an animatronic show where folks stand behind stanchions and chains. I also have a section chained off so no one gets hit by a pneumatic prop. It does not take much for someone to file a civil complaint (at least here it doesn't). It also doesn't hurt to have a surveillance camera that could record the audience to see what happened or "didn't" happen during your event and to have friendly neighbors who were there that are willing to talk with police if nothing happened during the report taking. Many times you will not know of a civil complaint until you get a letter in the mail from some ambulance chaser Attorney saying to pay up, asking for your policy info, or face having a lien placed on your property for negligence that occurred on your property. The scammers will never file the police incident report on your property but away from it (this is to avoid witnesses coming forward that were their and debunking the BS story) and most of the police here do not do a follow up to where the alleged incident occurred.

F

·
0 Posts
In my city Fraud is so rampant that we are practically ground zero for insurance fraud in the US. I know I have seen some frivolous law suits here in South Florida as I work as a Major Case Fraud Investigator for a private insurance firm . I don't do a yard haunt but more like an animatronic show where folks stand behind stanchions and chains. I also have a section chained off so no one gets hit by a pneumatic prop. It does not take much for someone to file a civil complaint (at least here it doesn't). It also doesn't hurt to have a surveillance camera that could record the audience to see what happened or "didn't" happen during your event and to have friendly neighbors who were there that are willing to talk with police if nothing happened during the report taking. Many times you will not know of a civil complaint until you get a letter in the mail from some ambulance chaser Attorney saying to pay up, asking for your policy info, or face having a lien placed on your property for negligence that occurred on your property. The scammers will never file the police incident report on your property but away from it (this is to avoid witnesses coming forward that were their and debunking the BS story) and most of the police here do not do a follow up to where the alleged incident occurred.
Yikes. Makes underground bunker living seem attractive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts