Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something you can spray on real pumpkins subsequent to carving them to prolong their life? It may be a stupid idea but I was thinking about something to spray on there and it would stop or delay the againg process.

Anyone try this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
there is a post somewhere about soaking them in water and something like lemon juice after you carve them.
sorry I not sure where it is though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,066 Posts
Haven't carved pumpkins in years, but I used to keep some 5-gallon buckets of water nearby. At the end of the night I'd drop them in the bucket until the next day. Kept them from drying out too quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
When we grow pumpkins, after we harvest them, we wipe them down with a weak bleach solution to kill the mold spores that linger. About 4 tsps per gallon of water and do not rinse.

We let them air dry after that. You can google it and form an opinion on using the bleach solution, because there are different opinions. It is supposed to kill the bad things on the rinds/skin and keep them from getting moldy quickly. When you carve a pumpkin, the bad stuff on the surface rides down on your tools and is introduced to the soft orange jack o lantern's insides.

I would say vinegar would be good, too, since the acid in the vinegar would also kill the things on the pumpkin that would make it rot faster.

And dunking them in water to rehydrate them sounds good, too.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top